Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MasterBratac
Contributor

LLDP

Hello together,

I'm trying to get my Fortigates registered via LLDP in my Switches.

This works perfectly on two FGT-50E, currently on 5.4.1.

It does not work on 3x FGT-90D and on one 110C. These are all on 5.4.somewhat firmware.

What I did:

edit "internal14"
        set vdom "root"
        set type physical
        set device-identification enable
        set lldp-transmission enable
    next

and:

config system global
    set lldp-transmission enable
end

Then:

diag lldpx restart

We use HP ProCurve switches.

Any idea?

1 Solution
MasterBratac

Good news:

"This issue got resolved in code, a fix will be provided in he upcoming FortiOS releases end of Q2. FortiOS version 5.4.5 is scheduled for around end of May 2017, 5.6.1 for around end of June. Please note that these estimated release dates are still subject to change. As soon as the release dates are fixed we'll update this ticket. "

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

hmmm......

How did you   capture if you using tcpreplay? Did you connect directly to the interface  and run  capture?

Are the HP enable for LLDP on the correct ports?

HP-switches are the same?

Can you change the    HP out to a spare switch ( cisco ) ?

Can you  cable 2 ports back to back and run the fortigates interfaces in  vdom (a) and (b) and see if the forties  recognize the  LLDP neighborships?

And did you try kicking it in the pants and restart LLDPTX

e.g

diag lldptx restart

diag lldptx  stats  count

And I forgot to add did you run diag debug ?

e.g 

diag debug  application  lldptx  -1

diag debug en

if the interface(s) are enabled for lldl, you should get  message on the cli terminal for ever time the schedule timer kicks off

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
MasterBratac

I'll tell you, whtat exactly I did:

First of all, I'm a bit familliar with lldp, I was involved in the development of this:

[link]https://github.com/Prinzessor/WinLLDPService[/link]

I've two lab FGTs 50E and 90D here on my desk and a Procurve 5406.

Both FGTs are "sending" LLDP packets (proved with diag sniffer packet interface "not ip" 6).

The 50E is shown in the switch, the 90D not.

I connect the 50E not to the switch, but to my notebook running wireshark. I could capture LLDP packets.

I could send some on my notebook, and also see them in the FGTs sniffer.

Now I connect the 90D to my notebook. The FGTs sniffer shows, that packets are sent, but Wireshark does'nt see them, also NIC LED is not blinking. When I send packets with my Notebook, they show up in the FGT90s sniffer.

Now I used fortinets fgt2eth perl script to convert the FGT90s sniffer output (the lldp packets) to tcpdump/wireshark file, to analyse them in wireshark. They looked good. So I sent the pcap file from my notebook with tcpreplay to my switch, and it registered correctly.

Am I missing somewhat?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Simple

1:did you  tried  restarting the LLDPTX

2: Run you run the suggest diag debug app lldptx -1

3: are you in  multt-vdom mode? 

4: how do you have the FGT90 running with regards to set lldp-transmission enable global vdom

5: Have you tried rebooting the FGT90D?

6: have you tried  a different port?

7: are these ports in a AggreEthernet ? ( 5.4.x does not let you set AE up with lldp transmit  enable )

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
MasterBratac

1:did you  tried  restarting the LLDPTX

Shure.

2: Run you run the suggest diag debug app lldptx -1

Shure, messages show up.

3: are you in  multt-vdom mode? 

No, factory reset testing device. Only enabled some interfaces, global lldp transmission and transmission per interface.

4: how do you have the FGT90 running with regards to set lldp-transmission enable global vdom

No vdoms...

5: Have you tried rebooting the FGT90D?

More than shure.

6: have you tried  a different port?

Shure

7: are these ports in a AggreEthernet ? ( 5.4.x does not let you set AE up with lldp transmit  enable )

No, I know this kb.

We have some 90D lldp works on none of them, we have a bunch of 50E, lldp works perfectly on all of them.

I'm fighting this for about nearly 2 weeks now, did a lot of lab testing, I can't get a single lldp packet out of a 90D.

I also have a brand new 100D, still in its packaging ... I'll try it with this on monday ....

Do you really have 90Ds with working lldp? Which firmware? What kind of switches?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes,    1 FGT and one FWF model.

nexus3548  NXOS 6.0.2

And it sends the correct hostname  in the  lldp advertisement which was always a problematic issues in the past ;) I will upgrade the  unit running 5.2.10 ,  to  5.4.4 maybe this weekend and post any changes

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
MasterBratac

With some older devices, 80C if I remember correctly on 5.0 or 5.2.somewhat we had also problems, because they pushed the serialnumber instead of hostname.

I will try to downgrade my test 90D to 5.4.2 on monday. I tested with 5.4.3 and 5.4.4 only.

localhost

Did you check the WAN1 and WAN2 ports for LLDP packets also or just the internal switch ports (1-14)? Maybe it's some Fortigate-switch hardware limitation or bug?

On a different model (FG-92d) we had an issue where it was not possible to use port1-14 for ha-sync. We had to use wan1 and wan2. HA heartbeats were not coming out, but visible in the FortiOS packet sniffer - just like in your case.

MasterBratac

I tried only with the internal separated switch ports. Will report back on monday.

MasterBratac

@localhost: I can confirm, it does work on WAN ports

@emnoc: It does not work with 5.4.2 on internal ports

EDIT:

The 100D is working on all interfaces with 5.4.4

MasterBratac

Hello all,

just for your information:

It's a bug, that was allready identified on FGT70D.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors