Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Coldfirex
New Contributor

Route WAN IP internally with no NAT

Howdy, We have a FGT80C (v4 MR2 P1) that has a static public IP with several additional IPs tied to it. We have several of these IPs setup as VIPs and are forwarded internally to their destination (NAT' d). We recently came across a scenario where we need to do the same thing but we cannot have the IP Nat' d (we need to give an internal machine the public IP). It will have 2 NICs (one for its internal IP so it can be reached internally, and then another for the public address). The only other time I did a setup like this I have the public NIC connecting to in front of the router. I was not sure where to begin on this. Would someone be able to point me in the right direction please? Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16
veechee
New Contributor

To assign an IP address to traffic that is initiated from an internal interface, you need to use an " IP Pool" . This will use NAT. Once you create the IP Pool (Firewall -> Virtual IP -> IP Pool), you select that pool in the firewall policies you want that IP used for. In Firewall rules it' s called " Dynamic IP Pool" . I use an IP Pool address right now to assign a separate static IP to clients for wifi access.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Exceptional, but I think the way to go is using policy routing. You would connect the internal server to the internal interface, and create a policy route for the public IP " a.b.c.d/32" (one host only) to egress on " internal" . On the internal interface, the FG will have to arp for the public IP address, the server will respond and accept the traffic. Return traffic will be to an external address via the default route (so you don' t need a second policy route back). test, test, test. No: read, test, sniff. Sniffing will reveal immediately if this is working.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

@veechee: Correct to the point, but this scenario doesn' t ask for (source) IP translation. It' s about routing the traffic to an interface where you normally wouldn' t expect a public IP address.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

but we cannot have the IP Nat' d (we need to give an internal machine the public IP)
could you please explain a bit? If it was because you want to reach the machine from other interfaces as well, using only one, namely the public, IP address, then you' ll have to install additional policy routes, one per (source) interface. And back routes if the source IF is not covered by the default route.
Coldfirex
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies. What I meant about the no NAT, is that the server will have a NIC with the public IP assigned directly. There will be a second NIC that has an internal IP so that it can communicate with devices on the internal network. Does this sound right? If I used this method will I have to assign a specific port on the FGT for this traffic or will just using any of the internal ports be fine? So are you saying that a policy route should accomplish this? Would you know the details on what I would need to enter?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

For your scenario using a VIP to the internal IP of the server would be the way to go. Bypassing a security device is never a good idea. Create a VIP from a free public IP to the server' s internal IP. Connect the server to the LAN, the FG to the LAN and _don' t_ specify port forwarding. The FG will then not only hand over traffic from the public IP to the internal NIC but translate the server' s internal IP back to the public IP on replies. The use of policy routing may work here but chances are bad if you' re not familiar with it. In addition, you give away control on the traffic for no apparent benefit. In plain English: drop the idea. Just my $.02
Coldfirex
New Contributor

Unfortunately the software that is on this server has to have the public IP on its NIC so that is why we are in this situation, otherwise I would had gone with port forwarding or something else. I am really not that familiar with policy based routing (only used it a couple of times) so anything you can recommend on trying to accomplish this would assist greatly. Thanks!
Coldfirex
New Contributor

I spoke with Support some and they suggested that we setup a second VDom in transparent mode which will then allow us to have filtered traffic, do no NAT, and have the public IP on internal machines. Does this sound like it would be ok?
jtfinley

I was going to suggest that as I read from the top, but it looks like you found your answer: Setup a VDOM, add the WAN and another port in transparent mode. In that scenario, it' s basically adding another PORT to the WAN, effectively creating a two port switch with the level of security using FW policies. You' ll plug the server nic into the " other" port and give a real IP.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors