Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tofke22
New Contributor

Impossible to access a VLAN subinterface

Hello, I' m encountering a problem witha a new setup. I' ve created an interface on a fortinet device with many vlan subinterface. When Router 1 connect to VLAN 3, no problem (red arrow) When a LAN host connect to VLAN 3, it does' nt work (blue arrow) I' d like to troubleshoot this problem but don' t really know what to do and where to begin ?! Could you help me to solve this problem ?
7 REPLIES 7
Baptiste
Contributor II

Did you check your FW Policy, a common mistake is that NAT is enable

2 FGT 100D  + FTK200

3 FGT 60E  FAZ VM  some FAP 210B/221C/223C/321C/421E

2 FGT 100D + FTK200 3 FGT 60E FAZ VM some FAP 210B/221C/223C/321C/421E
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

i would staet with diag debug flow and not guess what the problem is e.g diag debug reset diag debug en diag debug flow filter addr x.x.x.x ( x.x.x.x wouuld either be the src or dst host and you have other fiters options ) diag debug flow show console enable diag debug flow trace start 100 Generate some traffic by x.x.x. to whatever that' s broke and monitor the trace. In 2 minutes you will know for 100% if it' s dropped by a polic, if it' s matched by a polic, if it' s drop by rpf-checks, or IPS or etc....... btw, nice diagram outlining your setup After the conclusion of the diagnostic please ensure you; diag debug reset diag debug disable

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
tofke22
New Contributor

Baptiste and Emnoc thank you for your help. Baptiste there is no NAT on the policy rule. Emnoc what a great tip you give me there ! The firewall talk to me now ! And I can see my ping request arriving but it is " Denied by forward host policy check" Strange because I have created a rule from LAN to VLAN 3 (src any - dst any - svc any)
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Denied by forward host policy check
Good so now you know for sure and don' t have to guess Are you 100% on the firewal policy for that interfaces? The messages typically means; you firewall policy ordering is wrong? Your policy is missing? What I would do is to go into the WebGUI, filter on SRC interfaces LAN ( assuming that is the interface that' s having problems ) and then DST interface vlan3 ( once again assuming that' s the destination ) and just scan thru your firewall policies. One of those policies should match your traffic if correct. Let us know what you find and I will repeat myself ; diag debug flow is your best friend

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
tofke22
New Contributor

Youhou I found the problem ! A misconfigured zone in a rule. By default there is a lan zone name and we have used wan2 for the lan. Thanks a lot for your very useful help !
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Just send us a check for consulting fees at 2 hours and 150 p/hr Glad it worked out for you.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Sean_Toomey_FTNT

Just adding a couple of additional commands for those doing diag debug flow: diag debug reset diag debug ena diag debug flow show function enable diag debug flow show console enable diag debug flow filter <filter> diag debug flow trace start <count> This turns on additional verbosity that can help identify the issue. Also don' t forget you can also easily do a packet capture from the GUI in wireshark format. You can also kind of do this in CLI but you have to convert it first. GUI is much easier in this regard :) Cheers!
-- Sean Toomey, CISSP FCNSP Consulting Security Engineer (CSE) FORTINET— High Performance Network Security
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors