Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dethangel
New Contributor

unknown-12 application - can this be application be added and blocked?

I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this before and hope this is a proper section to post this, mods if this is wrong appreciate some help to shift it to the correct forum section.

We've installed a Fortigate 90D for our client and their IP phone vendor left SIP - 5060 open - we're hoping to remap this to a different port soon.

They require this port open for their soft phones to connect back to office when on the go.

Of late, I've been noticing probes (both mild and intensive) to this port - their IP Phone system had already previously been broken into once making a large amount of IDD calls - subsequently - blocked by the phone company (prior to the 90D).

I'm wondering whether is there any way i can block based on the "unknown-12" application detection by Fortigate, since the IP is randomized, its pretty hard to block/prevent all probes.

IPS has been enabled on this firewall ruleset but unable to pickup anything.

All probes go to port 5060/UDP.

Have attached a part of the log.

1 REPLY 1
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

hi,

every AppCtrl sensor includes 2 default "patterns" at the end:

- all other known apps

- all other unknown apps

Default action is 'monitor', that is, log and accept.

If you guide the SIP traffic over a policy of it's own (using udp/5060 or the destination address) you could try to block 'all other unknown' apps as this policy is meant to allow SIP only. You just have to make sure that you won't block wanted unknown traffic.

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors