Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Allwyn_Mascarenhas
Contributor

Traffic shaping for video calling

Hi fgt ppl,

We have a video conference coming up and we need to minimize any lagging etc.

The wan connection we have is  20mbps, our initial plan is to use traffic shaping and set the guaranteed bandwidth to 15000 kbps for the one single internal IP address which is to used(for video conf equipment is my guess).

Will this gurantee 15mbps minimum for that one IP address while the rest of network gets whatever is left of it?

Is there any better way to do this?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Iescudero
Contributor II

Hello!

Your approach is correct and i think is the only way to manage videoconference bandwidth.

Cyas!

Allwyn_Mascarenhas

thanks for ans, isn't any other qos parameters specific for video or voice?

gschmitt

allwynmasc wrote:

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1049/fortigate-traffic-shaping-40-mr3.pdf

TOS and DSCP

Allwyn_Mascarenhas

gschmitt wrote:

allwynmasc wrote:

http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1049/fortigate-traffic-shaping-40-mr3.pdf

TOS and DSCP

hi thanks for the reply, i had already referred this doc but a lot of it went over my head, i plan to go through it again thought but does the fgt have a feature to detect video packets and assign it preference etc?

and would this be a better way or just allocating minimum 15mbps to ip address would work better.

gschmitt

allwynmasc wrote:

gschmitt wrote:

allwynmasc wrote:

TOS and DSCP

hi thanks for the reply, i had already referred this doc but a lot of it went over my head, i plan to go through it again thought but does the fgt have a feature to detect video packets and assign it preference etc?

and would this be a better way or just allocating minimum 15mbps to ip address would work better.

There is an easy way to create a Service... or in this case Application based Traffic Shaping

Make sure the Features are active

Go to System > Config > Features and check Application Control, Traffic Shaping and Multiple Security Profiles to ON

Create your Shapers

Go to Policy & Objects > Objects > Traffic Shapers and create a new (or modify high-priority) shaper

Type Shared

Apply Shaper All polices using this shaper

Traffic Priority High

Set Max and Guaranteed Bandwidth as you see fit

Apply the Shaper to an Application

Go to Security Profiles > Application Control and select in the default Profile, or the profile you are using on your internal to wan policies or create a new profile

Click the VoIP Category, hover over Traffic Shaping and select your Traffic Shaper

Depending on your calling service and Application Definition (Skype used to be in P2P) you may need to add addition Categories or add the Application directly with Application Overrides

Now go to Policy & Objects > IPv4 > Policies and double click the policy the video call traffic will use (internal to wan unless you set up additional policies)

Select Application Control and select the profile you used

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors