Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Hassan-wahab
New Contributor II

on-prem Fortigate can't reach EC2 VM via AWS Fortigate IPSEC

Hello, I'm currently working on a proof of concept (POC) involving two FortiGate firewalls: one located on-premises and the other in AWS. My objective is to access a test VM behind the AWS FortiGate, which is situated in the same private subnet and VPC. Interestingly, the AWS FortiGate can successfully reach the VM, and vice versa. However, I'm encountering difficulties when attempting to access the VM from the on-premises network. Upon investigation using a sniffer, I've observed that the traffic is indeed traversing the IPsec tunnel. I've also ensured that the relevant IP addresses are allowed in the VM's security group. Could someone please offer guidance on resolving this issue?sniffer.JPG

1 Solution
Hassan-wahab
New Contributor II

Thank you for your assistance. I managed to resolve the issue. I realized that I had overlooked setting up a static route on AWS, where the Fortigate firewall recommended directing the private subnet traffic to the Fortigate's public NIC(Ending b71e). After configuring this route, I then added another route where I specified the destination as 0.0.0.0/0 and targeted the Fortigate's private NIC(Ending 8403). This solution resolved the problem, and I can now successfully reach EC2 instances in AWS from on-premises machines.aws.JPGlogs2.JPG

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hi Hassan

From the logs we see the icmp echo request enters the JK Home VPN but never exits from port2, I think you should check the related firewall policy and IPsec phase 2 selector source & destination subnet, they should allow the required source to the required destination.

AEK
AEK
Hassan-wahab
New Contributor II

Thanks @AEKIPsec phase 2 selector source & destination subnet are 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
Also, the policies are in place as well. 

syao
Staff
Staff

Hello Hassan,

I suggest running a debug flow and verify if the packets are allowed/blocked by the FortiGate:

diag debug flow filter clear

diag debug flow filter addr 172.30.1.138 <src-ip> and
diag debug flow filter proto 1
diag debug flow trace start 100
diag debug enable

hbac
Staff
Staff
Hassan-wahab
New Contributor II

Hi, @hbac & @syao 
Attached are the debug logs and policies from AWS Fortigate. 

FGT01 # get router info routing-table all
Codes: K - kernel, C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, B - BGP
O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
i - IS-IS, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2, ia - IS-IS inter area
V - BGP VPNv4
* - candidate default

Routing table for VRF=0
S* 0.0.0.0/0 [5/0] via 172.30.1.1, port1, [1/0]
C 172.30.1.0/25 is directly connected, port1
C 172.30.1.128/25 is directly connected, port2

logs.JPGpolicies.JPG

Hassan-wahab
New Contributor II

Thank you for your assistance. I managed to resolve the issue. I realized that I had overlooked setting up a static route on AWS, where the Fortigate firewall recommended directing the private subnet traffic to the Fortigate's public NIC(Ending b71e). After configuring this route, I then added another route where I specified the destination as 0.0.0.0/0 and targeted the Fortigate's private NIC(Ending 8403). This solution resolved the problem, and I can now successfully reach EC2 instances in AWS from on-premises machines.aws.JPGlogs2.JPG

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors