Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
hubert
New Contributor

max connections per host

Hi,

I have FortiGate 3140B v4.0 (MR2 patch 13). Is there a way to configure a rule which can control number of tcp connections per source IP (something similar to Cisco ASA policy - per-client-max)?

Thank you

Hubert

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

yes,

you define a traffic shaper per-ip and and assign it within the policy

e.g

config firewall shaper per-ip-shaper     edit "MAX200"         set max-concurrent-session 200     next end

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
8 REPLIES 8
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

yes,

you define a traffic shaper per-ip and and assign it within the policy

e.g

config firewall shaper per-ip-shaper     edit "MAX200"         set max-concurrent-session 200     next end

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
hubert
New Contributor

Many thanks Ken

Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Just want to point out that you may need to play around with the values you set for max number of sessions; it's not uncommon (depending on a person's web browsing habits) to have over 200 sessions open.  (I'd be more concern about individuals having over 200 sessions open to different dest addresses and different ports.) 

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

And to add you can be specific in the src_addr by specifiying the host or "all/any" during your testing. I've only seen the need to limited the max concurrent sessions when you have poor performing app. I worked in the financial sector for over 10 years, and it was common to have poor applications  that needed sessions limits 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
hubert
New Contributor

I need this rule to protect an application server (server farm) against internal malicious connections, in my case the limit max=500 should be fine, someone above it should be treated as suspicious host

thanks

Hubert

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Personally

I think your using the wrong approach. A well written IPS signature would probably do better.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
hubert
New Contributor

You're right. I also prefer to engage proper devices/modules for particular tasks but in my case IPS is disabled:

Intrusion ProtectionUnreachable 

FortiAdam
Contributor II

Have you considered using DOS policy?  It won't necessarily show up in your GUI depending on which hardware you are running but you should be able to config it via the CLI.  You can filter traffic on different critieria such as "tcp_src_session".  I don't believe DOS policy would rely on having an active FortiGuard license.  Good Luck!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors