Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ddskier
Contributor

eBGP MultiHop Implementation

I have been deploying IPv6 to all of my sites and using a pretty simple BGP config to annouce my own IPv6 range. However at one of my locations, the ISP seems to have two Juniper devices between me and them. Fortigate ----- Juniper CE ------- Juniper PE They are telling me that I have to use eBGP MultiHop functionality to get my BGP to work at this location. The ISP tech is under the impression that I have to perform the following steps to get this working: 1. Enable BGP MultiHop (' set ebgp-enforce-multihop enable' ) with the neighbor of the ISP loopback IP. 2. Create a Loopback adapter on the fortigate with the ISP assigned loopback IP. 3. Create a zone with the loopback adapter and the wan port. 4. Create static route from loopback to wan1. Does anyone has any experience with this? Can someone provide guidance?

-DDSkier FCNSA, FCNSP FortiGate 400D, (2) 200D, (12) 100D, (2) 60D

6 REPLIES 6
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes. You will need a multi-hop defined for the peer. Items #3 has nothing to do wiith bgp, so that' s optional. Item#4, is required for the bgp-peer source to reach the juniper-peer address. And you don' t need a loopback, it could be done on the interface addresss. e.g FGT-IPV6-WAN1 I' m assuming the JuniperCE is being used for route-inject for a MPLS-VPN?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ddskier
Contributor

That makes sense, just add another IP address to the WAN port to allow traffic to communicate. However, to get multihop working you ussually have to setup an update source. The CLI only allows me to select a port and not an IP. Is that an issue?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

No the ebgp multihop and udate-source is per peer neighbor. If you use the external interface in your config, you don' t need to set update-source. If you use a loopback interface or some other internal interface than you must set the update-source to that interface. I would review bgp best-practices information on multi-hop and update-source, since 2 two items are NOT directly related to some degree. I work in a multi-access provider realm and we have hundreds if not closer to a thousand of bgp peers for our customer and upstreams. Almost all of our upstreams are source' d from loopbacks and the downstreams are source from that physical interface for that customer ( frame-relay, gre, ethertnet ) The eBGP-multi-hop is needed, when your peer is not on a directly-connected network. That' s all that that means. update-source just sets the update-source for that " neighbor" , almost always used when sourc' ing the tcp/179 session from a loopback.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ddskier
Contributor

I have a turn up call with the ISP next week. I' ll follow your advice and hopefully I can get it working that way. Thanks for info. I appreciate the help.

ddskier
Contributor

I am doing something wrong with my BGP setup. When I attempt to traceroute to my unit I get a routing loop between teh fortigate unit and my ISP. For some reason the Fortigate unit keeps routing the request back out again. Any ideas? Here is my BGP config: config router bgp set as AAAAA config neighbor edit " 2001:xxxx::1" set ebgp-enforce-multihop enable set remote-as BBBB set weight 200 next end config network6 edit 1 set prefix6 2620:xxxx::/48 next end set router-id C.C.C.C end ------------------------------- Interface Config: config system interface edit " wan1" set vdom " root" set ip x.x.x.x x.x.x.x set allowaccess ping https ssh set log enable set type physical set alias " 20mbps" config ipv6 set ip6-address 2620:xxxx::1/128 (Part of Announced IPv6 Address) set ip6-allowaccess ping https ssh config ip6-extra-addr edit 2001:xxxx:2222::2/64 next end end next end ------------------------------- Static Config: config router static6 edit 1 set device " wan1" set dst 2001:xxxx:1111::1/64 set gateway 2001:xxxx:2222::1 next end

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

If it' s a routing loop, you will need to get traces from the next-hop-gw. On your static routes, I would expect to see a /128 to the address of the bgp peer ( your ipv6 address for remote-as bbbb ) . i.e Static Config: config router static6 edit 1 set device " wan1" ! ! this should be the BGP ipv6 peer that your peering with ! set dst 2001:xxxx:1111::1/64 set gateway 2001:xxxx:2222::1 next end I have a hunch the address that you using is not the one they are expecting and the static route and the prefix your is statically routed by the carrier . A tcpdump as shown below, would confirm this. Outside of the above, it should be straight forward. I' m really surprise they don' t give you a /127 for peering between your AS-AAAA and AS-BBBB . Something like this; 2001:418:x:x::2C2/127 btw: on how you set the update source; you apply the set update-source under each neighbor. Make sure you diag packet sniffer traffic between the 2 peers that your expecting traffic for ( tcp and port 179 ).

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors