Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
zack
New Contributor

bandwidth used by time per interface

I have a FortiAnalyzer 100C running V4 MR2 I would LOVE to be able to generate a report to see how much bandwidth is being used (hourly) over a reporting period (24 hours or " yesterday" ) When I log into my Fortigate firewall I have a " Traffic History" Widget that measures the flow of data in and out of an interface. It reports last 60 minutes, 24 hours and 30 days. I would LOVE to see something like that in Fortianalyzer. I really want to see a report that shows me this data, and allows me even greater granular information. I want to see how much bandwidth was used - but i also want to see who was using it (be device) That would take the Fortianalyzer from an alright appliance to a fantastic appliance in my opinion. Currently such options seem to be unavailable. If there is some kind of custom report i can build - i would appreciate step by step instructions - or a link to supporting documentation that explains how to accomplish EXACTLY what I' m looking for here. i see I' m not the first in these forums to ask for this so perhaps FortiNet could add this as a feature. To be honest, it was one of the reasons i purchased the appliance so I' m kind of sad to see it lacking.
(2) FortiGate 300A (clustered) 4.2.9 (1) Fortigate 310B 4.2.9 (1) Fortianalyzer 100C 4.2.4
(2) FortiGate 300A (clustered) 4.2.9 (1) Fortigate 310B 4.2.9 (1) Fortianalyzer 100C 4.2.4
6 REPLIES 6
SECCON1MC
New Contributor

Hate to brag (or is it that I love to ???) but we have had this in our app forever. We collect real interface bandwidth stats via secured snmp. I' m sure it is just a matter of time before the FAZ does something like this.
[link=http://logMojo.com]logMojo[/link] by Security Confidence Cloud Based - Logging ● Alerting ● Reporting ● Monitoring ● Management Signup today!
[link=http://logMojo.com]logMojo[/link] by Security Confidence Cloud Based - Logging ● Alerting ● Reporting ● Monitoring ● Management Signup today!
TopJimmy
New Contributor

Not for nothing, but the FortiManager does that too plus a whole bunch of other stuff. Below are a couple screenshots from one of my clusters for bandwidth. You can click and remove/add interfaces from the graph, slide the slider to bracket a specific time frame, click on the graph itself to show you the date, time, and bandwidth at any given time. The same " Real-Time Monitor Dashboards" exist for all kinds of things such as: interface bandwidth, sessions, IPSec bandwidth, SSL VPN Bandwidth, P2P bandwidth, Emails per second, URL' s per second, FTP per second, IM per second, CPU/Memory/HDD usage, email vs spam, urls allow vs blocked, etc.. All that and manage firmware, configs revision history, scripts, deployments, antivirus/ips updates and FortiClients. Not bad considering.....
-TJ
-TJ
zack
New Contributor

okay, but why do i need to buy a management appliance to get traffic analysis? Isn' t that the sole reason for the analyzer' s existence? Wouldn' t it be half baked if it is lacking in such features?
Not applicable

okay, but why do i need to buy a management appliance to get traffic analysis? Isn' t that the sole reason for the analyzer' s existence? Wouldn' t it be half baked if it is lacking in such features?
I am thinking exactly the same after using the device for sometime now ....
TopJimmy
New Contributor

ORIGINAL: zack okay, but why do i need to buy a management appliance to get traffic analysis? Isn' t that the sole reason for the analyzer' s existence? Wouldn' t it be half baked if it is lacking in such features?
Ask Fortinet and let us know what they say. I bought the FMG as a way to manage config files on multiple FGT' s. We then deployed the FortiClient so the FMG is used to manage those as well as the FGT' s. Having a realtime monitor was an added bonus but one I use a lot. I think what you will hear is that the FAZ is used for logging and running reports against those logs. Think syslog server. I personally think the realtime monitor should be on the FGT itself but should also be on the FMG since it' s designed for environments with multiple units to be managed.
-TJ
-TJ
zack
New Contributor

I would agree that the real time traffic and bandwidth monitoring should be in the firewall itself. As a former Cisco fan i always had that functionality in my Cisco ASA appliances (which cost 1/3rd as much - just saying) After all - right on Fiortinet' s web page, the FortiAnalyzer is marketed as " Network capacity and utilization reporting enables network administrators to plan and manage networks more efficiently." Is it only me, or would common understanding of that phrase seem to include that the analyzer could do bandwidth capacity reporting by the interface/hour/minute or whatever? how can we plan if we can;t see when bandwidth capacity is being used?
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors