Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
GaryMBD
Visitor

Problems with setting MTU

Greetings Forti Community,

I use a web application that I reach on a IP address in my company network over IPsec VPN.

It appears that the application sends a HTTP POST request to the server that can't get through the VPN tunnel, because the package is to big. 

After I change my client VPN network interface to MTU 1350, it can send the package and the access works. I change it with the following command:

netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Ethernet 3" mtu=1350 store=persistent 

After that I've tried to set the MTU of the VPN IPsec Tunnel to 1350 and restart my client, I still couldn't access the web application. I've also tried different MTU values on the Firewall, but it didn't really change anything. Only if I do it on the client per command line.

If I restart my client and start the FortiClient VPN, it seems that this resets my MTU on my client VPN network interface. So I'd have to execute the command to change my client MTU every time after I start the FortiClient.

Does anyone know how to set the MTU for the FortiClient, so my network interface always get the correct value, or how to get this to work on the Firewall?

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Best,
Gary

1 REPLY 1
johnathan
Staff
Staff

I'm not seeing any way to adjust this automatically in the FortiClient unfortunately. 
You may be able to adjust the TCP-MSS value in the SSLVPN's Firewall Policy instead. 
See: https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-Setting-TCP-MSS-value/ta-p/194518

"Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors