Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
TopJimmy
New Contributor

WLAN and LAN on Same Subnet

Stupid question: I' d like the wifi network and wired network to be on the same subnet (like a crappy linksys router) and have the Fortigate dish out addresses from that subnet (dhcp). Can I do that on the FWF-60B?
-TJ
-TJ
13 REPLIES 13
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

it´s in v3 MR7 also, i believe it was introduced in MR6

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
Not applicable

When I use the command: config system switch-interface edit lan set member .... just dmz , modem and wan2 is in available interfaces. I need the internal and wlan. What I need to do to have this interface in available interfaces?
abelio

I need the internal and wlan. What I need to do to have this interface in available interfaces?
To remove any reference to them, i.e., policies, routes, profiles, dhcp, etc etc

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
ShrewLWD
Contributor

We have been using switch-interface since build 668, so yes, it does work, and has to either be done at the CLi (as above, after removing ALL DHCP servers, Firewall policies, etc.) or built in a full script. Here is ours, offering one wireless for internal users (on the same subnet as the LAN), and another for guests. config system switch-interface edit " NewInterfaceName" set member " internal" " wlan" next end config system interface edit " wlan" set vdom " root" set wifi-ssid " InternalUsers" set wifi-security WPA set wifi-passphrase ENC *see caveats* next edit " internal" set vdom " root" next edit " wan2" set vdom " root" set status down set type physical next edit " wan1" set vdom " root" set ip x.x.x.x y.y.y.y set allowaccess ping https ssh snmp set type physical next edit " modem" next edit " ssl.root" set vdom " root" set type tunnel next edit " NewInterfaceName" set vdom " root" set ip 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 set allowaccess ping https ssh set type switch next edit " GuestWireless" set vdom " root" set ip 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 set type wireless set wifi-ssid " ExternalUsers" set wifi-security WPA set wifi-passphrase ENC *see caveats* next end *CAVEATS* Because it is now in a switch, the wlan is no longer a stand-alone interface. Therefore, you lose the ability to manipulate ANY portion of it in the GUI. If you want to restart it, you have to CLi it. If you want to change the SSID, or the passphrase, you have to CLi it. Broadcast/silent? CLi. Also, because of the above, it is not possible to change the passphrase in plain text, so you will have to find other means to determine the encrypted hash. I would suggest you create a third guest wireless, set the passphrase you want in the GUI, then go to the CLi, highlight the hash, and paste it into your wlan. Then remove/disable the 3rd guest wireless. Hope this helps!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors