Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Multicasting

Hello, I am trying to do multicasting between a Cisco router and a Fortinet but it does not seem to work. Here is the topology : Source (multicast on 239.255.1.1) -- CISCO Router --- Fortinet (FG100A) --- Receiver I use the Sparse-mode, the Cisco router is defined as the Rendez-vous point. On the Fortinet, I have enabled the multicasting forwardind, defined the sparse-mode on the interfaces, defined the Rendez-vous router, and added rules to allow 239.255.1.1 and the IP of the source. The problem is that on the Cisco router, I can not see any neighboor (show ip pim neighbor), the FOrtinet does not join the multicast IP if I try to access the multicast IP from the receiver. A " show ip mroute 239.255.1.1" on the Cisco shows the source, but no connexion with the receiver. Does anyone have done this before ? Would anyone have a configuration example ? Thanks, Fabien
7 REPLIES 7
player
New Contributor

hello mate, you should add multicast policies this can be done via the cli : config firewall multicast-policy good luck mate
player. rock the boat , dont sink the ship
Not applicable

Hi, I have already done that but that did not change anything : show firewall multicast-policy edit 5 set dstaddr 239.255.1.1 255.255.255.255 set dstintf " dmz2" set srcaddr 172.16.32.50 255.255.255.255 set srcintf " dmz1" next end Cheers, Fabien
Darune
New Contributor

I think you might have to turn off multicast forwarding, and enable only multicast routing. If I recall correctly (it' s been quite a few months) multicast forwarding just passes the traffic through.
MitchK
New Contributor

Where is the source of the multicast packet? If it' s on a remote network (not the network your Fortigate is on) you must enter a route on the Fortigate to the source network.
Mitch Fortigate-300A 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-200B 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-50B 4.00 (MR3 Patch6) FortiAnalyzer 100C (MR3 Patch1)
Mitch Fortigate-300A 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-200B 4.00 (MR3 Patch5) Fortigate-50B 4.00 (MR3 Patch6) FortiAnalyzer 100C (MR3 Patch1)
Not applicable

Hi guys, Thanks for your answers. I have tried to disable the multicast forwarding but that did not change anything. I have a route to the source, here is the topology : client (10.1.1.10) --- dmz2 (10.1.1.254) FORTIGATE (192.168.10.253) dmz1 ---- (192.168.10.252) CISCO (172.16.32.254) ---- SOURCE (172.16.32.50) The source multicasts on the IP address 239.255.1.1 There is not NAT between the client and the source. I am running OSPF, the client can ping the source and vice versa. If the client tries to access the multicast address 239.255.1.1, sniffing the interface dmz1 of the fortigate I can see the IGMP traffic but I have no video on the client. The diagnose ip multicast mroute shows nothing. The only way it works is if I configure a static-join group on the Fortigate (via the CLI, I join the IP address 239.255.1.1). But there is not point as even if there is no client, the multicast packets are still sent to the Fortigate. I tried sparse-mode and dense-mode with the same problem. Thanks, Regards, Fabien
player
New Contributor

try adding a multicast policy allowing ospf traffic from the interface that facing the cisco equipment.
Not applicable

Hi, Actually the problem is the same with static routes instead of dynamic routes using OSPF. The source and the client can ping each other without problem. Thanks, Fabien
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors