Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ddemland
New Contributor II

Drop failover sessions when link comes back up

I have a 60D running 5.2.3. I have two WAN connections, one for all the VoIP and the other for all other data. The VoIP network moves all it traffic out the voice WAN and all other networks move data out the data WAN. If the voice WAN goes down then all the voice traffic is rerouted out the data WAN. When the voice WAN comes back up the traffic is rerouted back to the voice WAN. The same goes for the data WAN when it fails, it goes to the voice WAN then back to the data WAN when it comes back up. I have all this working as expected right now.

My problem is that when the WAN link is restored none of the failed over sessions are rerouted back to their proper interface until there is a new session created. This means that it is possible for traffic to be routed out the wrong interface for a long time. How do I get these fail over sessions to terminate and create new sessions going out the proper WAN interface when that WAN interface comes back up? I can do this with my Cisco router automatically, but I need to get this same behavior with the Fortigate.

Thank you in advance,

David

10 REPLIES 10
Prab
New Contributor

ddemland wrote:

I have a 60D running 5.2.3. I have two WAN connections, one for all the VoIP and the other for all other data. The VoIP network moves all it traffic out the voice WAN and all other networks move data out the data WAN. If the voice WAN goes down then all the voice traffic is rerouted out the data WAN. When the voice WAN comes back up the traffic is rerouted back to the voice WAN. The same goes for the data WAN when it fails, it goes to the voice WAN then back to the data WAN when it comes back up. I have all this working as expected right now.

My problem is that when the WAN link is restored none of the failed over sessions are rerouted back to their proper interface until there is a new session created. This means that it is possible for traffic to be routed out the wrong interface for a long time. How do I get these fail over sessions to terminate and create new sessions going out the proper WAN interface when that WAN interface comes back up? I can do this with my Cisco router automatically, but I need to get this same behavior with the Fortigate.

Thank you in advance,

David

AFAIK: That's the deault behaviour in FGT.

Once the session is created the FGT will keep using the same route for all the traffic for that session and does not perform a route lookup until the session is valid. (The FGT is offloading the session to NP, this improves the performance as FGT doesn't need to perform route lookups quite often.)

Once the session expires, when ever a new packet arrives the FGT will perform a route lookup and in this case it will assign the exit interface accordingly.

I would not recommend, but you could reduce the session life time or/and disable the offloading.

Ref: http://help.fortinet.com/fos50hlp/54/Content/FortiOS/fortigate-hardware-acceleration-52/acceleration...

Hope it helps,

Prab

ddemland
New Contributor II

Thank you for the information. However in most cases, that I have been exposed to, using two different connections are not only for fault tolerance but they also include cost differences and using one connection more often that expected incurs higher operation cost. I clearly understand the design and the reason for it, but not being able to restore normal operations quickly would lead to unexpected cost and other business operation issues.

What would be nice is if I could write a script that runs when an interface comes back up where I could kill sessions that need to be moved back to the primary path so that they are moved back to their primary path as fast as possible and still leave the device working as closely as it can to its design. This would allow me to "interfere" only with routes that have to be restored after and outage. Is there a way to accomplish this task?

Thank You,

David

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

Voice would regularly be routed to one IP, SBC. I would try setting filter with the IP for source then destination of sessions to clear them "diag sys session clear".

http://kb.fortinet.com/kb/documentLink.do?externalID=FD31635

You might need to "clear" a couple of time to clear all of them.

Prab
New Contributor

ddemland wrote:

Thank you for the information. However in most cases, that I have been exposed to, using two different connections are not only for fault tolerance but they also include cost differences and using one connection more often that expected incurs higher operation cost. I clearly understand the design and the reason for it, but not being able to restore normal operations quickly would lead to unexpected cost and other business operation issues.

What would be nice is if I could write a script that runs when an interface comes back up where I could kill sessions that need to be moved back to the primary path so that they are moved back to their primary path as fast as possible and still leave the device working as closely as it can to its design. This would allow me to "interfere" only with routes that have to be restored after and outage. Is there a way to accomplish this task?

Thank You,

David

You could try playing around with Link-monitoring or the SD-WAN feature in 5.6 FortiOS. Maybe you can customize it for your scenario, unfortunately I am not sure if it will solve your issue. You might just need to test it.

Ref: https://cookbook.fortinet.com/redundant-internet-basic-failover-56/

Regarding the script: I am not sure if you could do that solely on the FGT, you might need an additional tool that will (authenticate &) execute the script on the FGT's CLI via SSH/Telnet etc. Please refer to this post: https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=107230

Maybe Rest API might come to your rescue: https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=144649

Hope it helps,

Prab

Edit: You can upload a script directly over the FGT's GUI. Have a look under System -> Advanced

gerryeah
New Contributor

Have you tried enabling "snat-route-change"? I have exact same problem as you described (only difference is I use VPN and BGP for failover), and enabling this solved it.

https://kb.fortinet.com/k....do?externalID=FD40943

krygsman

gerryeah wrote:

Have you tried enabling "snat-route-change"? I have exact same problem as you described (only difference is I use VPN and BGP for failover), and enabling this solved it.

https://kb.fortinet.com/k....do?externalID=FD40943

Thank you! This worked for me with VoIP & VPN traffic that stay connected on the failover WAN.

ellocodelacommencal

Hi there!

I understand that this only works for Firewall rules where you have NAT configured, right? In my case I don't have them because I use SLA Performance with Loopback interface in both sites and I don't need to create firewall rules and it doesn't work. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

I think "snat-route-change" was introduced with 6.0.

But not clear your set up yet. You're now saying "both sites". So this is over two IPsec VPNs? Also the fail-over is controlled by Cisco behind FG60D?

Whatever the case I recommend upgraded the 60D to the latest 6.0.x first.

ellocodelacommencal

Hello,

No, maybe I didn't make myself clear.
I'm on version 6.4.7, so there is no problem.

I have set up a performance SLA to our DataCenter via 2 ways, (IPsec tunnel & fibre optic). When the Fibre (main) goes down, the tunnel is up, but when it recovers the Firewall keeps the sessions and doesn't work correctly.

The problem is that I don't have NAT configured in the rules, as it is "internal" communication and doesn't go out to the Internet.
I don't want to add a SNAT to always have visibility of which is the correct source.

Do you know of any way to proceed with this kind of errors?
Maybe lowering the TTL?

Thanks in advance!

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors