Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Change WAN MAC Address possible?

Hello All, I have a 50B model for home, and would like to change my MAC address for the WAN1 port. The reason is that my ISP fixes the IP with the MAC, and I thought it would be more " secure" to change the IP periodically... (And with my ISP settings, I would need any other MAC to do that... [:' (]) Can my 50B do that? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
hidayet
New Contributor II

Hi aNewbie, I think we can change
http://www.hidayetaltun.com
http://www.hidayetaltun.com
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

The reason is that my ISP fixes the IP with the MAC, and I thought it would be more " secure" to change the IP periodically...
so, do you resign a fix IP number for ' security' considerations? Humm.. it' s strange approach; if you would talk about just a pc exposed to the Net, maybe.. but you' ve a firewall (a good one) to take care about your network security without give up a valuable fix public ip number anyway, if you want modify MAC address for an interface, use CLI command: i.e. for wan1
 config system interfase
   edit wan1
       set macaddr <mac_address>
   next
 end

good luck

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Not applicable

Thanks abelio , I know I have a very good firewall, but just in-case, taking a step further as precautions...
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Hmm.... the mac_addr change after the 1st next-hop. How are you gaining more security? Sounds like a waste of time if you ask me.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Sounds more like someone is trying to circumvent provider data logging...not security but anonymity. Anyway, you' ll have to give your credentials on sign-up which usually lead to an IP address assignment anyway. Which enables IP tracking. With a public provider MAC-IP binding is at least uncommon if not unfeasable. Shed some light if you please on your real reasons. - w-b
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors