Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
JND
New Contributor

Can' t connect to VPN with new wireless adapter

Apologies for my lack of savvy, I' m a user and not a network administrator. I work remotely and our network admin hasn' t been able to help with this issue, so I' m hoping you folks will be able to. I' m having issues connecting to my VPN using a new, external wireless adapter. The adapter is the ALFA AWUS036H and I' m using Windows 7. This adapter has a strong antenna, enabling the weak wifi signal in my home to reach my office. When I use the built-in adapter in my laptop, the VPN connects without a hitch. When I disable the built-in adapter and switch to the external adapter it won' t connect. Web browsers, Skype, etc. all work fine, but I can' t connect to the VPN. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can try? I tried a few things already (reinstall adapter and restart laptop, DNS flush, netsh reset) and I' m not familiar enough with FortiClient to know what else to try. This is what the log is saying (minus the IP I x' d out): <Type>Warning <Time>12/09/2012 6:39:34 PM <Source>VPN loc_ip=192.168.0.xxx loc_port=4500 rem_ip=xx.x.xx.xxx rem_port=500 out_if=0 vpn_tunnel=PRA MTS Fiber status=negotiate_error msg=" No response from the peer, retransmit (st=37)...." Thanks everyone.
4 REPLIES 4
Wenlong_Qin_FTNT

When you used new wireless adapter, maybe your laptop used different VPN connection settings. Please check following VPN connection settings: Remote Gateway Remote Network Preshared Key or other Authentication config Acquire Virtual IP Address Config Make sure all VPN connection settings are correct.
JND
New Contributor

Thank you for your response. I double-checked all the settings you mentioned and they' re all as they should be. I' ve also been getting a " failed to acquire an ip address" error message. Any other suggestions?
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Any other suggestions?
Buy another adapter that' s better supported in windows Contact the adapter support check and update the drivers for the ALFA check and update your OS service pack use your internal Wifi adapter since that knows to work in your laptop

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
JND
New Contributor

The adapter is well known and works well for internet access. Adapter support is pretty much non-existent. It is a realtek chip and I' ve tried both realtek and alfa drivers. Both work perfectly for internet access but not forticlient vpn. OS is updated. Internal wifi adapter is too weak - hence why I purchased an extended range adapter.
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors