Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
FatalHalt
Contributor II

Backup over SCP

I' m trying to figure out how to backup over SCP. I' ve enabled ' admin-scp' in config sys global, but am now trying to actually figure out how to use it. Anyone able to get me started? Thanks.
3 Solutions
FatalHalt
Contributor II

Sorry to bump this thread, but been running into some issues. 

Is it just me, or are the backups you get from SCP not the full backup of the device? I've only just noticed this now that I'm doing some analytics on the files themselves, but they aren't even close to full. On one device, a full backup from the GUI gets me a file with 40,000 lines. A scp backup using sys_config is just shy of 2,200. It doesn't have any vdoms. It's almost useless. 

Is there a different command other than sys_config (or fgt-config) to get a proper, full backup?

View solution in original post

Elthon_Abreu

nbctcp wrote:

Ethon,

Can you please show me the steps

nbctcp,

I've attached the script for you. You can change according to your needs.

PS.: Script only for Windows OS.

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
Elthon_Abreu

Holy,

I've used the Putty Key Generation (Looking in "ProgramFiles\PuTTY" If you have putty installed). There is a variable "Key" on the script file. To create the user "bkp" you can use the config below:

config system admin edit "bkpusr" set trusthost1 "backup IP address only - for best security" set vdom "root" set ssh-public-key1 "ssh-rsa AAAAB3NzaC1yc2EAAAABJQAAAQEAhIasKun...." set password ****** next end

Best regards

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
31 REPLIES 31
Holy

Reading What´s new Forti OS 5.2.2 ...

Add a command to export logs on local disk to external USB CLI changes Add a command to backup all log files to USB drive. Syntax execute backup disk alllogs usb Add a command to backup specific log file(s) to USB drive.

Syntax

execute backup disk log usb <string> //Choose log: traffic, event, ips, virus, webfilter, spam, dlp, voip, app-ctrl, anomaly, netscan

Can someone change his Script and post it here to run an automatik USB backup? 

NSE 8 

NSE 1 - 7

NSE 8 NSE 1 - 7
FatalHalt
Contributor II

Sorry to bump this thread, but been running into some issues. 

Is it just me, or are the backups you get from SCP not the full backup of the device? I've only just noticed this now that I'm doing some analytics on the files themselves, but they aren't even close to full. On one device, a full backup from the GUI gets me a file with 40,000 lines. A scp backup using sys_config is just shy of 2,200. It doesn't have any vdoms. It's almost useless. 

Is there a different command other than sys_config (or fgt-config) to get a proper, full backup?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

The sys_config is not the full backup. 

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
FatalHalt

What is the command to do the full backup?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Elthon_Abreu

emnoc/FatalHalt

Yes, the command "sys_config" is a full backup !

I tested and compared both methods.

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

My mustard on this:

I'm doing SCP backups for a couple of customer FGTs and it's both

- just the same as 'Backup' from the Dashboard

- NOT the full backup

The files just contain the commands to transform a factoryreset config into the running config. All default settings are left out.

And I'm not dealing with VDOMs. So if anybody knows how to elicit the config for all VDOMs on a FGT then please post.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Elthon_Abreu

ede_pfau,

I'm doing backups with a script Batch (DOS) running on the Windows scheduler. It's work fine for me.

Best regards.

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
nbctcp
New Contributor III

Ethon,

elthon.abreu wrote:

ede_pfau,

I'm doing backups with a script Batch (DOS) running on the Windows scheduler. It's work fine for me.

Best regards.

http://goo.gl/lhQjmUhttp://nbctcp.wordpress.com
Elthon_Abreu

nbctcp wrote:

Ethon,

nbctcp,

I've attached the script for you. You can change according to your needs.

PS.: Script only for Windows OS.

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5

Elthon Abreu FCNSA v5
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors