Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Shiraz
New Contributor

we have 12 departments and wants to separate each dep and i am using One VLan, One network

Hi,

We are using fortigate firewall 101E and cisco switch with One vlan one Network 192.168.x.x

I want to segregate each department for exp: Our one department PC/Printer/Laptop can not communicate with other department PC/Laptop/Printer.

It's possible to work it.

4 REPLIES 4
Fullmoon
Contributor III

for me 2 possible options on how to achieve your target.

1. create vlans on your cisco switch if capable, or,

2. since FGT 100E supports 200 interfaces, you can configured those ports as routed or independed ports and assigned diff subnets on each interfaces. Firewall policy will dictates outgoing traffic at the same time port to port communication

Fortigate Newbie

Fortigate Newbie
sw2090
Honored Contributor

if you do not want or cannot create more vlans or/and subnets you can only use ip-ranges. You would then have to make sure that the devices of each departmend stay in their range (e.g. dhcp reservations) and then use the range as destination/target in policies to allow or not allow traffic like you want to.

However I would recommend using more vlans and subnets for this. Makes life easier ;)

-- 

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams

-- "It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes." - Douglas Adams
ede_pfau

For a secure network, you cannot use IP ranges to segment a LAN. I'd just confgure an 'interesting' IP statically on my device and grant myself priviledges.

VLANs can only communicate through routers. As long as I have no access to these, the VLAN keeps me limited.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

yes. agreed

If you want communication and physical separation,  do not use the cisco router L3, span the vlans to the FGT and let the default-gateway be in the FGT and let the firewall control the traffic

Defined your vlan and networks and set policy for what & where you need traffic

e.g

config system interface edit "vlan1" set vdom "root" set device-identification enable set role lan set snmp-index 19 set interface "port1" set vlanid 1

set ip 10.10.1.0/24

next

edit "vlan2" set vdom "root" set device-identification enable set role lan set snmp-index 20 set interface "port1" set vlanid 2

set ip 10.10.2.1/24

next

edit "vlan3" set vdom "root" set device-identification enable set role lan set snmp-index 21 set interface "port1" set vlanid 3

set ip 10.10.3.1/24

next

and so on 

address groups

config firewall address

edit "NET_10.10.1.0"  set subnet 10.10.1.0/24 next

edit "NET_10.10.2.0"  set subnet 10.10.2.0/24 next

edit "NET_10.10.3.0"  set subnet 10.10.3.0/24 next

adn so on 

Then build policies

Ken Felix

'