Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Timothy_DeSantis
New Contributor

open mode

Hello All, Is it possible to run a FortiAP in " open" security mode? That is, with no Authentication or encryption scheme?
3 REPLIES 3
cmberry
New Contributor

Is it possible to run a FortiAP in " open" security mode? That is, with no Authentication or encryption scheme?
I think the best you could do is " Captive Portal" , which from my understanding has no encryption.
Captive Portal security Captive Portal security provides an access point that initially appears open. The wireless client can connect to the AP with no security credentials. The AP responds to the client’s first HTTP request with a web page requesting user name and password. Until the user enters valid credentials, no communication beyond the AP is permitted. The wireless controller authenticates users through the FortiGate user accounts. In the SSID configuration, you select the user groups that are permitted access through the captive portal.
Still not really what you want, but you could just post a generic username/password, and then people could hop on wifi without enter a long Key. I use WPA2, so this is just from playing around with the options under WiFiController on my Fortigate (running 4.3.3), I have no practical knowledge of how Captive Portal should/does work, others here can probably provide more details.
yzhang_FTNT
Staff
Staff

You can configure a vap as open auth sec through cli. FG800F2604400100 # con wireless-controller vap FG800F2604400100 (vap) # edit 1 new entry ' 1' added FG800F2604400100 (1) # set security captive-portal captive-portal open open wep128 wep128 wep64 wep64 wpa-enterprise wpa/wpa2-enterprise wpa-only-enterprise wpa-only-enterprise wpa-only-personal wpa-only-personal wpa-personal wpa/wpa2-personal wpa2-only-enterprise wpa2-only-enterprise wpa2-only-personal wpa2-only-personal
Timothy_DeSantis
New Contributor

That did it! Thanks!
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors