Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Palamar
New Contributor

how to block mac address?

I blocked user MAC Reservation + Access Control, but if the user sets himself a static IP address, it uses the Internet and network.How to fix?

Fortigate 80c

1 Solution
gschmitt
Valued Contributor

You can block the internet access by creating a device and a policy to block the device

Go to User&Devices > Device > Device Groups and Create New and create a "blockedMac" Group

Go to User&Devices > Device > Device Definitions and select Create New (or look if it's already listed if you have Detect and Identify Devices on on the interface)

Now go to Policy&Objects > Policy > IPv4 and Create new

[ul]
  • Incoming Interface: Internal (or where the device is located)
  • Source Address: all (or your internal subnet)
  • Source Device Type: "BlockedMac"
  • Outgoing Interface: wan (your internet connection)
  • Service: All
  • Action: Deny[/ul]

Repeat this if your servers are in a different subnet/interface for the interface

Sadly your firewall cannot block internal traffic within the same subnet since the traffic literally does not cross the Fortigate

If your FortiGate does DHCP you can go to System > Monitor > DHCP

Look for the device in question and right click it and select Create/Edit IP Reservation

Set the Action to Block

But as you said the user can simply use a static IP

• View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
    rwpatterson
    Valued Contributor III

The only way I know of is to set up a MAC reservation. If the user changes his IP address, then the reservation is broken and the traffic won't flow. I believe this is the behavior, but I may be wrong.

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!
    See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com

Bob - self proclaimed posting junkie!See my Fortigate related scripts at: http://fortigate.camerabob.com
    gschmitt
    Valued Contributor

You can block the internet access by creating a device and a policy to block the device

Go to User&Devices > Device > Device Groups and Create New and create a "blockedMac" Group

Go to User&Devices > Device > Device Definitions and select Create New (or look if it's already listed if you have Detect and Identify Devices on on the interface)

Now go to Policy&Objects > Policy > IPv4 and Create new

[ul]
  • Incoming Interface: Internal (or where the device is located)
  • Source Address: all (or your internal subnet)
  • Source Device Type: "BlockedMac"
  • Outgoing Interface: wan (your internet connection)
  • Service: All
  • Action: Deny[/ul]

Repeat this if your servers are in a different subnet/interface for the interface

Sadly your firewall cannot block internal traffic within the same subnet since the traffic literally does not cross the Fortigate

If your FortiGate does DHCP you can go to System > Monitor > DHCP

Look for the device in question and right click it and select Create/Edit IP Reservation

Set the Action to Block

But as you said the user can simply use a static IP

• Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors