Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
stukat
New Contributor

encryption

When using SSL-VPN (FortiClient) what type of encryption is used; AES256, RC4, 3DES? How can I verify this? Information required for auditors.
18 REPLIES 18
jorge9090
New Contributor

did you run the debug command while connecting to the VPN or after the tunnel was established?
stukat
New Contributor

Debug was started prior to connecting to the SSL VPN. The first 2 lines also show that the connection was dropped and then 21 seconds later it was recreated.
jorge9090
New Contributor

You can always open a Support Ticket with Fortinet to ask about the info, im sure they will help you.
stukat
New Contributor

Ticket 1201674 opened 2 days ago. Still no definitive answer. This is where it was left off.... Dear Customer, Regarding the algorithm used in SSL VPN, you may find the description of sipher_suite options (low, default and high) in the following document on page 771: http://docs.fortinet.com/uploaded/files/1981/fortigate-cli-52.pdf Me: The info on page 771 is limited to " To use a cipher suite that is greater than 128 bits, type high." Is there any additional info which might state the exact strength; i.e. AES-256, 192, etc? Concerned that this won' t be enough to appease our auditors.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

I think the document state what cipher are going to be support based on the level enabled. That' s what your auditor should use for the auditing and they shouldn' t just trust your word but, can validate. Now on to more...... fwiw & imho, it' s not the cipher-type that should be of any concern, it' s the strength of the key. The auditors should be more concern with the key-length more than the cipher suite imho. A weak private-key is not going to be any more effective with AES128 or CAMELLIA256. I myself have wonder just how random the private-keys are within a FGT model XXXX vrs YYYY vrs FortiOs version A.B.C vrs C.D.E . I wonder how random the key generator that' s being used. Just some food for thought

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
stukat
New Contributor

When you mention strength of the key I gather you' re referring to the password that the user is using. If this is the case, our requirements are sufficient (min # of char, upper /lowercase, special chars, numbers, etc). When it comes to encryption, obviously we would be more comfortable with 256 bit. FortiNet seems to state that any of the above mentioned suites could be used. Why would they do this? Why not define a standard? I can' t be the first to ask for more info on the encryption type.
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

When you mention strength of the key I gather you' re referring to the password that the user is using. If this is the case, our requirements are sufficient (min # of char, upper /lowercase, special chars, numbers, etc).
No this would be the actual private-key strength, held by the ssl ( server )
When it comes to encryption, obviously we would be more comfortable with 256 bit. FortiNet seems to state that any of the above mentioned suites could be used. Why would they do this? Why not define a standard? I can' t be the first to ask for more info on the encryption type.
I think there' s no such thing as one single standard, due to some many different browsers types. e.g The Us Gov has standard or set the standards on AES, but EU and Japan seems to think CAMELLIA is better. ( similar to US vrs UK and feet vrs meters or lb vrs kg ) This is why they list low med high ciphers in order to allow for the differences in browsers. Since in this SSL/TLS word, one single standard has not yet to be defined. Now for the forticlient, I would expect it would always take the highest level cipher that available. Even with a let' s say a HIGH cipher type, 128bit is deemed high depending on the cipher. (e.g) See image file AES128-RSA-SHA is high

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
RegDOX
New Contributor

I hate my first post to this form being a thread necromancer, but I am working on revising my company's System Security Plan now that we have a FWF 60-E.

We are running 6.0.3 as the IOS and I entered the CLI command to force the device to use a strong cipher. We are using the SSL VPN. I've gone over a lot of documentation and I haven't found a way to identify which cipher my device is using.

Does anyone know how to determine this, so I can make the appropriate changes to my SSP?

TIA!

Leigh  

RegDOX Solutions Inc.

Exclusive Marketer of RegDOX Products and Services

One Tara Boulevard, Suite 300            www.RegDOX.com

Nashua, NH 03062

(603) 589-4830

RegDOX Solutions Inc. Exclusive Marketer of RegDOX Products and Services One Tara Boulevard, Suite 300 www.RegDOX.com Nashua, NH 03062 (603) 589-4830
angie1996

hello friend, For an audit, they ask me to send a capture about "Encryption mechanism implemented for VPN traffic (ssl, ipsec, etc)", what do you mean? Would you understand what is the configuration of the vpn ssl in the FORTIGATE? Could you clear that doubt, I thank you

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors