Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jackchenwork
New Contributor III

best practice to control Fortimail Cloud user license

I am wondering how Fortimail Cloud customers are managing your license count, specially when your mail system allow single user mailbox have multiple email addresses?

For example, we can have same mailbox with following allowed email addresses :

jsmith@mycompany.com

john.smith@mycompany.com

john@mycompany.com

jsmith@mycompanyalternativename.com

We have already enabled "Recipient Address Verification" via SMTP, but all those addresses are valid recipient. Fortimail Cloud is treating them as different mailboxes. 

We have tried to setup "user alias", but it doesn't seem reduced Fortimail's license count, also it's a lot of work to manage so many email alias trough Fortimail Cloud UI.     Fortimail Cloud Console doesn't allow paste; also REST API seems can not be enabled on Fortimail Cloud.

Thanks for any feedback.

11 REPLIES 11
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Jack,

Thank you for using the Community Forum.

I will seek to get you an answer or help. We will reply to this thread with an update as soon as possible.

Regards,

Anthony-Fortinet Community Team.
Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Jack,

We are still looking for an answer.

We will come back to you as soon as we get one.

Regards,

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Jack,

I have found this document:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortimail/7.2.0/administration-guide/610106/managing-users

Could you please tell me if it helped?

Regards,

Jackchenwork
New Contributor III

Sorry Anthony, the document you provided doesn't help to resolve our problem.  It's for Fortimail admin, not Fortimail Cloud admin, and many functions are removed from Fortimail Cloud.  For example, there is no "user import/export" function in Fortmail Cloud.

Our main issue is each of our users may have multiple valid email alias and there is no practical way to make Fortimail Cloud understand those alias emails are for same mailbox and should only be counted as one license.

Many other mail protection service providers already have integrations to solve this issue, specially for Exchange Online users.  Proofpoint provided Azure AD Sync to sync Azure AD users as licensed users. 

I think there could be two options to fix this issue in Fortimail Cloud: 

1. Fortimail only count users who have accessed webmail portal as licensed users.  We already enabled end-user 's Azure AD SSO login ( SAML) to Fortimail Cloud, then our Fortimail Cloud license can match our Exchange Online license count.  In fact, you can even get user's proxyaddresses through SAML attribute, so you can get all the user's email aliases. 

2. Fortimail Cloud can provide a "Azure AD user sync" function. You can either use a Azure AD App to pull users from Azure, or use SCIM to push users from Azure to Fortimail Cloud. 

Do you know where I can submit a feature request ? 

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Jack,

Oh ok.

I will find a Fortimail Cloud expert for answering.

I will come back to you ASAP.

Regards,

Anthony_E
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Jack,

One of our expert replied to me:

'Alias is not counted as an active user so it will not use the license'

I hope it will help.

Regards,

Jackchenwork

The problem is how to manage the alias. Lets say a company have 500 employees and each of them have 3 email addresses, then there will be 1,000 email alias. this is very normal. It's a management nightmare for admin to manually create 1,000 email alias from web ui. then some employees will left and new employees will join, and the admin has to keep updating the alias list, manually.

Mokkasin
New Contributor II

I am interested in an answer as well to this problem

NSE7
NSE7
nicolaspasquare
New Contributor

Hello All, 

is there any updates to the topic answer?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors