Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
broncoman79
New Contributor

Web filtering not showing entire URL

When looking at the Web Filter log on my 60D (5.6.0), I am seeing things like "video.twimg.com" and pbs.twimg.com". I want to see the entire URL of the video or picture being viewed. I was under the impression that web filtering monitor would give me this information. Any help would be much appreciated!

1 Solution
hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello broncoman79,

If you want to look at the full URL, you need to enable deep-inspection for the HTTPS sessions. You would have to import the SSL Certificate that you choose to use onto your environment. After enabling deep-inspection, you should see the URL as attached.

Homing

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
hmtay_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello broncoman79,

If you want to look at the full URL, you need to enable deep-inspection for the HTTPS sessions. You would have to import the SSL Certificate that you choose to use onto your environment. After enabling deep-inspection, you should see the URL as attached.

Homing

broncoman79

Thanks for taking the time to answer!!!

I tried this yesterday, and imported the FG cert to my iphone, and a ton of apps complained about certificates. Do I just need to take the time to exempt all of those URLs from Deep-Inspection?

hmtay_FTNT

Did you import the correct Certificates? If you did, most applications should not be complaining. You can do a quick test going to a HTTPS site like Wikipedia on a browser. If that works, you have done it correctly. Which also means those failed connections are likely caused by certificate-pinning by those apps. 

If browsing most HTTPS sites on a browser fail, you may have imported the wrong Certificate or some steps have not been done correctly.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors