Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
6sITdept
New Contributor III

Setting up Forticlient on an Ipad

I'm trying to setup Forticlient VPN on an iPad Air 11.

Currently I am using IPSEC VPN and Fortitoken for MFA.

I have this working on Windows Laptops. the user opens the forticlient. enters the username and password; then clicks Connect.  it connects and asks for the fortitoken. User enters the token and then they are connected.

Now i'm trying this on the iPad.  I installed the ForticlientVPN App.  Now I am trying to setup the connection profile.  I gave it a name, and I entered the Firewall IP Address, a port. and a User.

After setting up the connection, I go back to the "VPN" screen. I click "VPN and the status is "Connecting"  but then it times out; goes back to "disconnected". I also used "Save Password" but it never asks for the password.

There are some differences that i'm not sure where to setup.  For example the Firewall and Windows has a passphrase; iPad did not have a spot to enter this.  I don't know if i'm logging in correctly because it didn't ask for password before logging in.

Any thoughts? any instructions on setting this up?  I can't seem to find any; maybe i'm searching the wrong thing.

THanks.

4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor II

Hello @6sITdept ,

If you use dialup vpn type on your firewall, you don't need to use FortiClient on iPad. You can configure ipsec on the settings menu.

1. Configure the iOS device.
    1. In the iOS device, go to Settings > General > VPN and select Add VPN Configuration.
    2. Set the Type to IPsec and enter a Description. Set the Server to the FortiGate's Internet-facing interface, and enter the username in Account. Enter the user password, the preshared IPsec VPN secret, then select Done.
    3. Ensure that the IPsec VPN configuration is highlighted (indicated by a checkmark), and select the Not Connected button. The IPsec VPN connects with the user's credentials and secret. The status changes to Connected, and a VPN icon appears at the top of the screen.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.3/administration-guide/311726/ios-device-as-dialup-...

But if you use SSL vpn you need to use FortiClient. FortiClient needs to create vpn profile on your device. On the first connection, FortiClient will want to request to create a profile. If you don't allow that mistakenly, because of that maybe FortiClient can't connect your firewall.

Also, FortiClient has two versions in APPStore. You need to install FortiClientVPN, not FortiClient. FortiClient requires a license, FortiClientVPN does not.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
6sITdept
New Contributor III

Hello.  Thank for your feedback.  I am doing IPSec.  Right now the iPad is responding with "VPN Server did not respond."  

Just to clarify, "Group Name" is left blank right?  And I can leave the Password blank because it says "ask every time" which I think is what I want. Also if I did connect to the VPN server, should the Fortitoken box show up right after?

Also I did

I set up a native ios VPN tunnel.  now it asks me for my username and password (progress!).  but after I enter Username/password, it goes straight to "not connected".  the firewall's event logs do show that I did negotiate a phase 1. 

It did not ask for Fortitoken code.  could this be the issue?

hbac

Hi @6sITdept,

You need to enter the password and token at the same time. Please refer to this article https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiClient/Technical-Tip-How-to-enable-debug-log-in-FortiClient/t...

Regards,

6sITdept
New Contributor III

We are using the ios VPN, not forticlient.  so these instructions don't apply. 

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors