Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Allwyn_Mascarenhas
Contributor

Running CLI commands through batch using putty/plink .exe

I am trying to run cli to create admin accounts on fortigates: cd c:\Program Files\PuTTY plink.exe -l username -pw password fgt_ipaddress C:\pat_to_command.txt pause and then in command.txt: config system admin edit test set accprofile "super_admin" set password test end I keep getting the "unknow action 0" which according to fgt doc: "If you do not enter a known command, the CLI will return an error message such as: Unknown action 0" Would appreciate lil help on understanding what is going wrong here.       

14 REPLIES 14
jiangchundi
New Contributor

if you connect FGT through SSH, type "edit test" without type "config system admin" at first, you will get a "Unknown action". From "config..." to "end" can be considered 1 conversational command, not 5 independent commands.

You may check my post "Is that possible for a scheduled shutdown?" which I have answered myself.

Allwyn_Mascarenhas

jiangchundi wrote:

if you connect FGT through SSH, type "edit test" without type "config system admin" at first, you will get a "Unknown action". From "config..." to "end" can be considered 1 conversational command, not 5 independent commands.

You may check my post "Is that possible for a scheduled shutdown?" which I have answered myself.

Thanks for the response.

I did not get that though. I have added config sys admin and then added edit <usrname>. Can't figure out what is wrong here.

config system admin
edit <adminuser>
set accprofile "super_admin"
set password <password>
end

jiangchundi

You can use PowerShell and SSH.Net library to do this, not Putty.exe or Plink.exe.

$client = New-Object Renci.SshNet.SshClient($hostip,"admin",$passwd)     $client.Connect(); sleep 1     if ($client.IsConnected){         $stream = $client.CreateShellStream("Test",0,0,0,0,1000); sleep 1         $log += $stream.Read(); sleep 1         $stream.Write("config system admin`n"); $stream.Flush(); sleep 1         $log += $stream.Read(); sleep 1         $stream.Write("edit test`n"); $stream.Flush(); sleep 1         $log += $stream.Read(); sleep 1

.......         $stream.Write("end`n"); $stream.Flush(); sleep 1         $stream.Close()         ........

Allwyn_Mascarenhas

jiangchundi wrote:

You can use PowerShell and SSH.Net library to do this, not Putty.exe or Plink.exe.

$client = New-Object Renci.SshNet.SshClient($hostip,"admin",$passwd)    $client.Connect(); sleep 1    if ($client.IsConnected){        $stream = $client.CreateShellStream("Test",0,0,0,0,1000); sleep 1        $log += $stream.Read(); sleep 1        $stream.Write("config system admin`n"); $stream.Flush(); sleep 1        $log += $stream.Read(); sleep 1        $stream.Write("edit test`n"); $stream.Flush(); sleep 1        $log += $stream.Read(); sleep 1

.......        $stream.Write("end`n"); $stream.Flush(); sleep 1        $stream.Close()        ........

I can use this as a batch file? I will look into this and report back asap.

jiangchundi
New Contributor

you can call powershell.exe from a bactch file:

pathtotheexe\powershell.exe pathtoscript\scriptname.ps1

jiangchundi
New Contributor

you can call powershell.exe from a bactch file:

pathtotheexe\powershell.exe pathtoscript\scriptname.ps1

to use the library, before new-object, you need to:

Add-Type -Path "pathtothedll\Renci.SshNet.dll"

TuncayBAS
Contributor II

You do not have VDOM structure?

if there is one config global config sys admin editor admin password set 1234856 end end

Tuncay BAS RZK Muhendislik Turkey NSE 4 5 6 FCESP v5

Tuncay BAS RZK Muhendislik Turkey NSE 4 5 6 FCESP v5
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Why don't you use the batch command interface for this? See System > Config > Advanced.

Write down the commands into a text file, one command per line, then upload it as a batch command. File extension can be anything.

Now for debugging which line throws the error:

connect to the Console

enter this:

diag debug enable

diag deb cli 7

- now do the upload and watch the messages -

to reset:

diag deb cli 3

diag deb dis

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Allwyn_Mascarenhas

ede_pfau wrote:

Why don't you use the batch command interface for this? See System > Config > Advanced.

Write down the commands into a text file, one command per line, then upload it as a batch command. File extension can be anything.

Now for debugging which line throws the error:

connect to the Console

enter this:

diag debug enable

diag deb cli 7

- now do the upload and watch the messages -

to reset:

diag deb cli 3

diag deb dis

I got the following debug log. I uploaded an .conf file with the syntax as follows, is it something to do with the spacing etc?

I have no experience to understand this debug output so will google for it and report back.

config system admin
 edit testadmin
  set password testsnaadmin#
  set acc_profile super_admin
 end

SNA # diagnose debug cli 3

SNA # diagnose debug disable

SNA # diagnose debug enable

SNA # diagnose debug cli 97

SNA # 0: config system admin

0: edit testadmin

0: set password testsnaadmin#

-61: set acc_profile super_admin

0: config system admin
0: edit "testadmin"
0: unset vdom
entry 0x313f298:0xbefedba8 duplicated action=add, vdom=root, node=system.admin.vdom.name, key=root, cmf_shm_api.c,__bsearch_index,291.
cmf_query_shm.c:1926, Add table index error: type=4
0: end
-56: endcmf_query_util.c:1511: grp=00000002, obj=system.global
cmf_query_util.c:1511: grp=00000002, obj=system.global

SNA # diagnose debug disable cli 3

SNA # diagnose debug disable