Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ajajaj47
New Contributor

Reserving bandwidth for incoming traffic ? QOS / Traffic shaper ?

Hi all,

We are using Fortigate 100D and the WAN port (for internet) are connected to our service provider's router.

The bandwidth of the line is 40Mbps (for dl and ul)

Upload traffic to internet is minimal, but download at times can take up the full 40Mbps bandwidth allocated. I want to allocate certain bandwidth for incoming traffic to more important application (e.g. email) and leave to the rest to (youtube, facebook etc)

-- please assume that I am not able to get a 2nd line dedicated for the more critical applications and I am not able to block access to youtube, facebook.

How can I reserve bandwidth for incoming traffic ? Can I do it with traffic shaper ?

Or rather, does it make sense to reserve bandwidth for incoming traffic ?

I am thinking along the line that our uplink SP router will not know that we would like to reserve certain bandwidth for some application traffic, thus the SP router will throw whatever traffic destined to our firewall and eventually max out the 40Mbps.

I assume we can do traffic shaping for incoming traffic, what good can it do ? since the 40Mbps bandwidth is already utilized down the line and reach other firewall.

Am I thinking it wrongly ? Hope some Gurus can straightened me out

Regards,

Noob

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors