Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Thonno
New Contributor

RADIUS FortiGate - RSA Authentication Manager

Hi,
I'm configuring a FortiGate 400F for VPN authentication via RADIUS with RSA Authentication Manager, but I can't get access to VPN/Admins via groups to work.
(If I create a Firewall group that reads all RADIUS it works, but if I create a Firewall group that matches a single  RADIUS group it doesn't work)

I've configured the Firewall side:
config user radius
edit "RSA-ARLUNO"
set server "x.x.x.x"
set secret .....
set radius-coa enable
set radius-port 1812
next
end

The group is configured as follows:
config user group
edit "Utenti_VPN_RSA"
set member "RSA-ARLUNO"
config match
edit 1
set server-name "RSA-ARLUNO"
set group-name "Utenti_VPN_RSA"
next
end
next
end

On the RSA Authentication Manager side, I created the Radius Client, the Radius Agents and added the Fortinet VSAs.

If I create a RADIUS profile on RSA that always returns the value "Fortinet-Group-Name" - Utenti_VPN_RSA works, but it has to be a dynamic field.

Can someone help me out?

4 REPLIES 4
saleha
Staff
Staff

Hi Thonno,

Thank you for reaching out. This requires troubleshooting and investigating deeper on both the RSA authentication manager and the fortigate. I recommend openning a ticket with support if applicable for better and quicker assistance. In general and based on what you mentioned that without specifying a group on the radius server the authentication works, troubleshooting steps are:

1- make sure you are configuring the right fortinet VSA - Vendor Specific Attribute- on the Authentication manager. For list of fortinet VSA:
https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.4.4/administration-guide/952303/radius-avps-and-vsas#...

2- If all config is confirmed correct next step is to run radius authentication debug on the fortigate:

diag de app radiusd -1

diag de app fnbamd 255

diag de console time en

diag de enable

3- Run a packet capture on the fortigate using gui "Network>Diagnostics" or from cli using a sniffer:

diag sniffer packet any "host x.x.x.x or port <dst port>" 6 0 l

Note: in case of running a sniffer you will need to convert the output to a pcap file to be able to view it in wireshark or other network analysis tools. Check the below link on how to manually convert the sniffer output to pcap:

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Tip-How-to-import-diagnose-sniffer-packet-data...

4- check the logs on the authentication manager to find out if the radius challenge was rejected or discarded for any reason.

Thank you,

saleha

Shashwati
Staff
Staff

Please reconfirm the user group on your Radius server that it is matching the user correctly . If without using any specific group it works it indicate there is mismatch on Radius group information 

pminarik
Staff
Staff

> If I create a RADIUS profile on RSA that always returns the value "Fortinet-Group-Name" - Utenti_VPN_RSA works, but it has to be a dynamic field.

This sounds like the FortiGate-side of the configuration just works.

You need to figure out how to configure the RADIUS server so that it sends the appropriate Fortinet-Group-Name string for the appropriate user/group.

In something like FortiAuthenticator this is quite easy: You create a group that matches some LDAP filter (=members of group X), add the desired RADIUS attribute to this group (to be sent if the LDAP filter=membership matches), then include this group in the RADIUS policy for the RADIUS client.

I would assume you will need to do something similar, assuming your RADIUS server references an LDAP-like back-end database to find out who is a member of what.

[ corrections always welcome ]
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors