Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
maxiboom
New Contributor III

Problem with FGSP and FGCP

Hello everyone,

FortiOS: 7.2.4

Fortigate: 200E

We have two FGCP clusters and FGSP between them. FGCP clusters are georaphically spaced and RTT between them around 40-50 ms. Session sync is configured over L3 link between FGCP clusters.

We have configured pickup sessions(also expectation and connectionless).

1st FGCP cluster:

config system ha
  set group-name "cluster 01"
  set mode a-p
  set session-pickup enable
  set session-pickup-connectionless enable
  set session-pickup-expectation enable
  set ha-mgmt-status enable
  set override disable

config system standalone-cluster
  set standalone-group-id 1
  set group-member-id 1
  config cluster-peer
    edit 1
      set peerip x.x.x.x

diagnose sys ha standalone-peers
  Group=1, ID=1
  Detected-peers=1
  Kernel standalone-peers: num=1.
    peer0: vfid=0, peerip:port = y.y.y.y:708, standalone_id=2
    session-type: send=249986, recv=403283
    packet-type: send=0, recv=0

2nd FGCP cluster:

config system ha
  set group-name "cluster 02"
  set mode a-p
  set session-pickup-connectionless enable
  set session-pickup-expectation enable
  set ha-mgmt-status enable
  set override disable

config system standalone-cluster
  set standalone-group-id 1
  set group-member-id 2
  config cluster-peer
    edit 1
     set peerip y.y.y.y

diagnose sys ha standalone-peers
  Group=1, ID=2
  Detected-peers=1
  Kernel standalone-peers: num=1.
  peer0: vfid=0, peerip:port = x.x.x.x:708, standalone_id=1
  session-type: send=202291, recv=4528433
  packet-type: send=0, recv=0

Sessions are synchronized without problem.

So, problem is following:

When traffic symmetrical we have no problem. Symmetrical traffic mean that traffic came out from and came back to the same FGCP cluster (for example 1st FGSP cluster).

But when traffic asymmetrical we have problem: using icmp as an example we have lost first or two packets. Using TCP we have long connection, for example, to smtp services. Using UDP, for example, DNS server sometimes has timeout error. Asymmetrical traffic mean that traffic came out from one FGCP cluster and came back to another FGCP cluster (for example came out from 1st FGSP cluster and came back to 2nd FGSP cluster). So, we have this problem with both TCP and UDP.

For now we have following investigation results:

1) This problem is not related to traffic inspection and observed on both type of rules: with traffic inspection and without traffic inspection.

2) We don't observe this problem when traffic just go through FGCP clusters without NAT.

3) We don't observe this problem when traffic symmetrical.

4) Session synchronization occurs instantly with first packet on one of the FGCP cluster.

So, I suppose problem with NAT. But actually how can I debug this? Maybe some tuning options exist? Has someone encountered such a problem?

20 REPLIES 20
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

NAT sessions are not synchronized by default in FGSP. You can enable NAT session synchronization by entering the following command:

config system ha

set session-pickup-nat enable

end

You need a common pool as well.

Ref:

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/6.4.0/ports-and-protocols/796662/fgsp-fortigate-session...

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

maxiboom
New Contributor III

@srajeswaran

In ForiOS 7.2.4 command "set session-pickup-nat enable" is missing and as I understood

it's enough to use command "set session-pickup enable" to sync NAT session. Moreover I have seen a session replica with status syn_ses on neighbor cluster.

srajeswaran

It is available in 7.2.4 and is required as well along with the pool.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.2.4/administration-guide/18108/optimizing-fgsp-sessio...

# get system status
Version: FortiGate-VM64 v7.2.4,build1396,230131 (GA.F)

(ha) # show
config system ha
set session-pickup-nat enable
set override disable
end

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

maxiboom
New Contributor III

@srajeswaranare you using VM image?

# get system status
Version: FortiGate-200E v7.2.4,build1396,230131

(ha) # session-pickup-nat enable
command parse error before 'session-pickup-nat'
Command fail. Return code -61

The same pool for NAT is created on both clusters

srajeswaran

Hi @maxiboom ,

I can see the "session-pickup-nat" option is getting removed when FGCP is active , so what you have observed looks correct.

When you say " using icmp as an example we have lost first or two packets.", does the remaining packets work?

If thats the case, for testing can you disable anti-replay as in below doc and check the behavior?

https://community.fortinet.com/t5/FortiGate/Technical-Note-How-anti-replay-works-and-sniffer-usage-f...

Regards,

Suraj

maxiboom
New Contributor III

Hello @srajeswaran,

"When you say " using icmp as an example we have lost first or two packets.", does the remaining packets work?"

Yes, the remaining packet work.

I will read about anti-replay, test it and back with results.

maxiboom
New Contributor III

Hello @srajeswaran 

No, it doesn't help.

For now I have done traffic dump on path from host to internet through one FGCP cluster and back tracffic from internet to host throught another FGCP cluster.

I've seen packet came out from one site: FGCP cluster > border routers

and came back to another site: border routers > another FGCP cluster. I have seen packet in debug flow in another FGCP cluster. I don't know where I should dig futher ( Maybe back packet is silently dropped by Fortigate, but I can't find debug for this situation.

maxiboom
New Contributor III

Actually, I suppose that it's problem with sync session with nat. I started debug flow on both clusters same time and get results below:

1) First cluster where packet came out

maxiboom_3-1677399079196.png

2) Second cluster where packet came back

maxiboom_2-1677398954013.png

So, session found on the second packet and next packets and I can't explain it.

srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

So packets are matching the session, but not going out. Isn't it?

I think its better to open a TAC ticket (could be a bug).

Regards,

Suraj

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors