Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
omkam
New Contributor II

Need to block RDP

I want to allow only specific users to access the internal server through RDP access and block others using RDP port (3389) as we are getting alerts of attempts of attacks on RDP port 3389.

I am getting alerts of attempts of attacks on RDP port 3389.

How can I achieve this.

Omkar
Omkar
2 Solutions
kvimaladevi
Staff
Staff

Hi omkam,

I understand that you would like to allow RDP access only for specific users to reach your internal server.

I would request you to create a policy for the required users alone as source, destination as the server IP, set the service as RDP, and the action as allow. Right below this policy, create another policy with source as all, destination as server IP, service as RDP and set the action to deny so that only the allowed users can access RDP. 

Below these 2 policies, you can have your other policies for normal traffic.

Regards,

Vimala

View solution in original post

Muhammad_Haiqal

Hi @omkam ,

Exposing RDP to public is very vulnerable to a bruteforce attack - which guest the username and password to access the PC.
Number of logs cannot be reduced. If 10 attempts come in, 10 logs will be generated. If we reduced this logs, it will considered "missing-of-information". 

I would suggest to implement SSLVPN vpn. Only SSLVPN(forticlient) user can RDP your PC.
This is the safer more reliable to access local resources.

haiqal

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
omkam
New Contributor II

Also, let me know how can I reduce the number of alerts generated while trying to access through RDP

Omkar
Omkar
kvimaladevi
Staff
Staff

Hi omkam,

I understand that you would like to allow RDP access only for specific users to reach your internal server.

I would request you to create a policy for the required users alone as source, destination as the server IP, set the service as RDP, and the action as allow. Right below this policy, create another policy with source as all, destination as server IP, service as RDP and set the action to deny so that only the allowed users can access RDP. 

Below these 2 policies, you can have your other policies for normal traffic.

Regards,

Vimala

Muhammad_Haiqal

Hi @omkam ,

Exposing RDP to public is very vulnerable to a bruteforce attack - which guest the username and password to access the PC.
Number of logs cannot be reduced. If 10 attempts come in, 10 logs will be generated. If we reduced this logs, it will considered "missing-of-information". 

I would suggest to implement SSLVPN vpn. Only SSLVPN(forticlient) user can RDP your PC.
This is the safer more reliable to access local resources.

haiqal
Olivia_7
New Contributor

You can go to Local Security Policy to edit the "Allow log on through Remote Desktop Services" policy.

Here are the detailed steps:https://www.anyviewer.com/how-to/rdp-works-only-with-mstsc-admin-0427.html 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors