Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
UniOvi
New Contributor

NAT configuration many to one?

Hello,

Could anyone post an example to configure a Fortigate with two interfaces, inside and outside, the rules and objects to intercept all sessions from inside to any public server port (let's say UDP:53) and send them instead to only one owned server, same port (UDP:53)? Something like getting all the public DNS queries and diverting them to our own DNS through the outside interface...

I remember that the Cisco ASA "fix" this with a NAT rule that could get rid of several destinations and DNAT them to only one, with SNAT also for inner hosts.

Sure it's a lot easier that seems to me now....:(

Thanks in advance,

Jah

7 REPLIES 7
srajeswaran
Staff
Staff

Do you have a list of public DNS servers that need to be mapped to one IP? Or you have only the port number and IP can be anything?

Regards,

Suraj

- Have you found a solution? Then give your helper a "Kudos" and mark the solution.

UniOvi

Hello,

yes, we have a set of well-known servers configured by hand in a bunch of PC, but it would be great if we could just specify the port and avoid the list.

Thank you,

Jah   

gfleming
Staff
Staff

Can you not just have a policy to block external DNS? This would be more effective and force users to use your server. You won't have to manage a list of servers, either.

Cheers,
Graham
UniOvi

Hello,

well, it will work for sure but I don't want to take down service at all...just avoid the use of those public servers...

what about a transparent proxy? I think that the deployment should be the same, the only difference would be the destination port...is it possible with Fortigate to behave this way?

Thank you,

Jah

gfleming

FortiGate can act as a transparent proxy but I'm not sure how this fixes your issue? Your DNS requests will still head out the same way as before.

I understand you don't want to block external DNS servers but the alternative is you maintaining an ever-growing list of public DNS servers that you need to redirect internally.

I don't believe there is a way to catch only port-based traffic and NAT it. If you remember how the Cisco ASA does it exactly perhaps we can see if the FGT has a way of mimicking it.

One way I think you could do this is with policy-based routing but you'd have to redirect it to an internal host that is also listening on all of those IP addresses. So again not a pretty solution.

Cheers,
Graham
pminarik
Staff
Staff

Do you actually have devices that insist on using their hard-coded DNS server IPs and refuse to use the DHCP-provided one(s)?

From limited personal experience, I've had a couple devices that always tried to use "their own" DNS server, but when blocked, always fell back to using the DNS server from DHCP. (and frankly, I wouldn't want a device in my network that refuses to use my DNS servers)

I imagine you could make this transition/research fairly painless by logging the outgoing DNS traffic and then gradually moving these devices to a blocking rule, and finding out how they react.

[ corrections always welcome ]
UniOvi

Hello,

I agree with you, there are several ways to manage this situation, forcing or migrating users to use the servers that are intended to serve these clients. But, when I decided to go the "soft" way, just intercepting these queries and passing them to our own server,

is when I discovered I couldn't find a way of trapping the queries to *any* DNS  and forwarding them to my own DNS. And that's the origin of this question...

Thank you,

Jah

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors