Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
tmoe
New Contributor

Identity based policies in MPLS environment

I have 2 FG200B devices in HA running MR2 Patch6 firmware. I have an MPLS and network firewall from our ISP that connects our 10 plants across the US. Those plants each have a FortiWifi60B running MR2 Patch3 firmware. I have identity based policies in my corporate office with the FG200Bs and it works well. I tried to implement identity based policies at my plant locations to match corporate. It seems to work but sometimes users do not seem to get authenticated properly and therefore the policy fails and they have no internet access. The reason for this is so that from our FortiAnalyzer all users will be resolved back to a username for reporting instead of just their IP. My dns servers and login servers are in my corporate office so could there be some latency causing these issues? Anyone have any ideas for troubleshooting this one? Thank you in advance Tmoe
FG200B - HA Cluster FWF60B (15) - Remote sites MPLS FWF80C (5) - Remote sites IPSEC FLG800 - FortiAnalyzer FMG400B - FortiManager FortiClient (250 seats) Remote users
FG200B - HA Cluster FWF60B (15) - Remote sites MPLS FWF80C (5) - Remote sites IPSEC FLG800 - FortiAnalyzer FMG400B - FortiManager FortiClient (250 seats) Remote users
7 REPLIES 7
laf
New Contributor II

Just check the SLA you ISP offers you; also use winmtr and see any network spike.

The most expensive and scarce resource for man is time, paradoxically, it' s infinite.

The most expensive and scarce resource for man is time, paradoxically, it' s infinite.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

You haven' t specified how users are authenticated - local, LDAP, RADIUS...? If you use local users this should work 100% of the time. With auth servers there is a timeout for responses which can be configured if too short.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
tmoe
New Contributor

I am using FSAE for authentication.
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

...running on a server that is -remote or -local? Think timeout.

Ede

tmoe
New Contributor

To our plants, it is remote. So I agree with the timeout issue. Where is that setting? CLI?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Try this:
 gate # config system global 

gate (global) # set remoteauthtimeout 
 <integer>    please input integer value (0-300)

It' s in seconds, 5 seconds is the default. Keep it as short as possible.

Ede

tmoe
New Contributor

I' ll take baby steps. I' ll try 10 seconds first and see if that resolves the issues. Thank you for your help!
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors