Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
syu
New Contributor III

IPv4 Firewall Policy for Port Forwarding.

Hi,

I am trying to setting up a linux server in our DMZ behind Fortigate. I need to allow connection from Internet to Tcp port 2012 on our public IP address which will be forwarded or translated to linux server private IP TCP Port 22.

Here is what I configured. Just need to get some validation from you guys here.

Address Object:

edit "Linux-TCP-2012"         set tcp-portrange 2012-2012     next

Virtual IP:

edit "DMZ-Linux-P2012-VIP"

set extip 2.2.2.2         set extintf "port19"         set portforward enable         set mappedip "172.16.24.11"         set extport 2012         set mappedport 22     next

Firewall Policy:

edit 2         set srcintf "port19"         set dstintf "DMZ"         set srcaddr "all"         set dstaddr "DMZ-Linux-P2012-VIP"         set action accept         set schedule "always"         set service "Linux-TCP-2012"         set nat enable     next

The part I am not sure is: Do I use "SSH" for the Service parameter inside firewall policy OR use "Linux-TCP-2012" like I did OR simply use "ALL"?

Thanks,

/S

1 Solution
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Your setup is correct as it is, except for a minor detail: you do not have to check "NAT" in the policy. Checking it will "source NAT" incoming traffic to the interface's IP address. You will lose any information about the host accessing your server, for no obvious benefit.

On the other hand, using the VIP will do "destination NAT", i.e. changing the destination address (and/or port).

Service port: the service should match the port used from outside, i.e. your custom port 2012.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"

View solution in original post

Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
2 REPLIES 2
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Your setup is correct as it is, except for a minor detail: you do not have to check "NAT" in the policy. Checking it will "source NAT" incoming traffic to the interface's IP address. You will lose any information about the host accessing your server, for no obvious benefit.

On the other hand, using the VIP will do "destination NAT", i.e. changing the destination address (and/or port).

Service port: the service should match the port used from outside, i.e. your custom port 2012.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
syu
New Contributor III

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors