Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dan
Contributor

How do I set the geo location of my fortigate?

Using the menu "VPN Location Map" does show me a nice overview of the currently connected VPN connections (IPSEC, SSL VPN).

However, the locations of the fortigate are most of the time somewhere in the Gulf of Guniea (0°S, 0°E). The physical location of all our fortigates is configured in FortiCloud (product details) with the address (street, ZIP, town, etc.). I did not find a way to set the device location in the fortigate GUI, nor via CLI. 

I checked with dia "geoip geoip-query <IP>" on each fortigate it's own location and it shows a somewhat accurate location (sometimes off by a lot, based on the ISP).

So, I have several questions:

How does the fortigate determine it's own location used for the VPN location map? 

• From the location configuration in FortiCloud? (difficult, if not impossible)
  • Via geo-ip query? (most likely)
    • If yes, which IP is used in a milti VDOM environment with several WAN IP's per VDOM?
    • Note: If I use "dia geoip geoip-query <my-wan-ip>, I get the correct location (Berne, Switzerland), yet in the VPM Location Map, the fortigate is located somewhere in Germany.

Two examples:

• fortigate1
    • physical location: Berne, Switzerland
    • location on VPN map: somewhere in southern Germany
    • dia geoip geoip-query: Berne, Switzerland
    • location fortigate 2 (IPSEC) in VPN Location Map: Thun, Switzerland
  • fortigate2
    • physical location Thun, Switzerland
    • location on VPN map: Gulf of Guinea
    • dia geoip geoip-query: Berne, Switzerland
    • location fortigate 1 (IPSEC) in VPN Location Map: Berne, Switzerland

How is the location of VPN endpoints (SSL VPN, IPSEC VPN) determined?

• Looking at the maps on several fortigates with active VPN's, it seems that geo-ip is used. 
  • IPSEC endpoint location of other fortigate seems not to be the same as location of local fortigate
  • SSL VPN endpoint location is clearly via geoip, within it's limits

Thanks

Dan

1 Solution
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Dan,

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to the VPN map as well (I haven't dug into how the VPN map is put together and FortiGates determine their location precisely), but there are settings in FortiGate CLI to specify its longitude and latitude:

#config system global
#set gui-device-latitude <>
#set gui-device-longitude <>
#end

Those settings apply to threat map displays at least (in FortiView/FortiAnalyzer overviews) and I couldn't confirm if they also apply to VPN map, but they might help?

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Debbie_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hi Dan,

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to the VPN map as well (I haven't dug into how the VPN map is put together and FortiGates determine their location precisely), but there are settings in FortiGate CLI to specify its longitude and latitude:

#config system global
#set gui-device-latitude <>
#set gui-device-longitude <>
#end

Those settings apply to threat map displays at least (in FortiView/FortiAnalyzer overviews) and I couldn't confirm if they also apply to VPN map, but they might help?

+++ Divide by Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe and Reboot +++
dan

Thanks @Debbie_FTNT ,

That workes like a charm. 

VPN Map is now accurate.

Many thanks

Daniel

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors