Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Jeremie_Dufault
New Contributor

Fortiwifi 30D (POE) : TFTP Timeout?

Hi guys, Short story : We got a fortiwifi 30D in test from a guy of fortinet. Unfortunetaly, I format the boot device (yay) because I didn' t had the right password. I can' t restore the default firmware befause isn' t there (in the forti). So I setup an TFTP. Someone have got the same issue? Each time I initialise a TFTP transfer, the forti Timeout. The only port I can choose from the forti is WAN I tried 2 methods Over the network : DHCP enabled on the forti With a crossover cable : Static IP, gateway on computer and forti The same result occur on these 2 methods. I got a timeout from the forti This is the log from my tftp server : 2014-04-10 07:04:46.000 : INFO : TFTP : Starting TFTP server ' 10.0.201.115:69' 2014-04-10 07:04:46.000 : INFO : TFTP : TFTP Server start succeeded, serving at ' 10.0.201.115:69' 2014-04-10 07:05:08.000 : INFO : TFTP : Starting transfer of file ' image.out' from local ' 10.0.201.115:56986' to remote ' 10.0.201.108:2711' , send window size 1 2014-04-10 07:05:08.000 : INFO : TFTP : 1 transfers in progress 2014-04-10 07:05:38.000 : INFO : TFTP : Aborted transfer to ' 10.0.201.108:2711' , reason ' System.TimeoutException: Remote side didn' t respond in time' . I do the network diagnosis from the forti, all ip (gateway and tftp) are reacheable. Some have a idea? Any hints? Thanks :)
8 REPLIES 8
Dave_Hall
Honored Contributor

Have no problems loading firmware via tftp; mind you we only have 80CM, 200B, 200Ds. From your set up, I say what is missing is disabling the Windows' firewall (or any 3rd party firewall).

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
Jeremie_Dufault

Hi! Thanks for the help! The issue is now resolved :) How? I used a Mac instead of a Windows PC. Works flawless :)
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Looks kinda strange that the WAN port is to be used. All other (older) models use port1. I would use a straight-through cable, not a X-over, and try again. You should have a link LED lit on WAN to indicate that the polarity is OK.
Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Jeremie_Dufault

I' ll try a straight cable. This is a new model, maybe it' s for that reason they put Wan only for the management port
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

With the cross-over cable? Might be necessary as it' s a WAN port which usually doesn' t have hosts downstream. So, using a Mac, really? I deduce the (Windows based) TFTP server was incompatible. Which one is it?
Jeremie_Dufault

I was on MAC with a straight cable I try a lot of different tftp server.
demdix
New Contributor

I had the same issue with a 60D.   I tried 4 different TFTP servers on Windows.  The diagnostics in the BIOS could PING the tftp server and I could see from the logs that the TFTP server was asked for a file...

The answer using TFTP32 was to go into the settings and enable 'PXE Compatibility'

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

FWIW:

I know you found a workaround , but I bet it has to deal with the blksize. You can test the ( windows ) tftp-server by using a tftp client that allows you to set or adjust the blksize option

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors