Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
olivern4
New Contributor II

Fortigate Syslog Timer

Hi All,

I'm trying to find out how to configure our FG100D (6.2.14-FW-build1364-230411) to send to our Syslog Server (ELK) just every 5 mins. There is no option in the WebUI or even in the CLI to configure this. Is there any way to do this? All I can see is in the FortiAnalyzer option.

Thank you.

Oliver

2 Solutions
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @olivern4 ,

Syslog is an instant protocol, so unlike FortiAnalyzer, there is no store-and-forward option on the FortiGate.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW

View solution in original post

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
SonaMuvv

Hello Oliver,

You can get Fortianalyzer/Fortianalyzer cloud license and then configure that on the Fortigate to send logs to Fortianalyzer every 5 minutes.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.6.0/administration-guide/712303/configuring-fortianal...

But you cannot use ELK server ip to configure Fortianalyzer, because when you configure Fortianalyzer it will be configured in the security fabric, which uses separate daemon/ports to forward logs to FortiAnalyzer.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ozkanaltas
Valued Contributor III

Hello @olivern4 ,

Syslog is an instant protocol, so unlike FortiAnalyzer, there is no store-and-forward option on the FortiGate.

If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.
NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
If you have found a solution, please like and accept it to make it easily accessible to others.NSE 4-5-6-7 OT Sec - ENT FW
olivern4
New Contributor II

Hi @ozkanaltas 

Thank you for the response.

Meaning there is no way to do this? Okay. Can I just use the FortiAnalyzer option instead as the Syslog? I will just add the IP address of the ELK server right?

Thank you.

Oliver

SonaMuvv

Hello Oliver,

You can get Fortianalyzer/Fortianalyzer cloud license and then configure that on the Fortigate to send logs to Fortianalyzer every 5 minutes.

https://docs.fortinet.com/document/fortigate/7.6.0/administration-guide/712303/configuring-fortianal...

But you cannot use ELK server ip to configure Fortianalyzer, because when you configure Fortianalyzer it will be configured in the security fabric, which uses separate daemon/ports to forward logs to FortiAnalyzer.

olivern4
New Contributor II

Hi @SonaMuvv 

Thank you.

Oliver

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors