Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
KPS
New Contributor III

Fortigate - ARP-Issues after Upgrade 5.6.6 to 5.6.9 - Unicast flooded to all switch-ports

Hi!

I just updated my 200E-Cluster from 5.6.6 to 5.6.9. Now, I have a very strange issue:

The unicast-traffic that passes the fortigate is "acting" like broadcast-traffic.

--> The traffic is sent to every switchport

If I monitor the traffic on ANY switchport, I see all the unicast-packets, that where routed by the fortigate.

If I ping the fortigate from the destination IP, the problem stops instantly.

Do you have any idea, what happens there?

For me, the Fortigate seems to "forget" to use the ARP-table for those packets. If I have "incoming" traffic (destination=fortigate), that ARP seems to work fine.

The ARP for one test-server:

#diagnose ip arp list | grep 10.49.0.48 index=34 ifname=DMZ-HO-Bond 10.49.0.48 00:50:56:89:xx:xx state=00000004 use=369512 confirm=372713 update=368876 ref=4

Thank you for your help!

KPS

20 REPLIES 20
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't you use redundant interfaces??

I'm afraid,  no! It's always been Aggregate and redundant is not even an option in mt FGT. Mabe the bigger chassis supports this, but I have seen redundant type in years maybe decades, but it truly sounds like mac-addr layer2 issues.

If you're seeing ALL layer3 address, I would review the switch ports connected to port3 and port4, the switch CONTROLS forwarding not your layey3 device. I would also check that nobody setup a mirror or span port

Ken Felix

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors