Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ian_Harrison
New Contributor

Explicit web proxy or firewall rule?

Hi

Just a simple question, what is the advantage of using the explicit web proxy function compared to a firewall rule?

I have a Fortigate 3240C with explicit web proxy set-up and have configured a collector agent to monitor AD logins for the Fortigate.  At the moment all users are going through the explicit proxy and have different web filters depending upon their FSSO group.  However if I set-up a rule on the firewall based upon the FSSO group and source IP it works the same, in fact internet access is a lot quicker.  I have also noticed that via the proxy SSL deep inspection does not always work correctly in that the Fortigate is still inspecting sites that are in the SSL bypass list. However when I user the firewall rule with exactly the same SSL inspection rule it all ways works fine.

So what if any issues would I face if I put all users through the firewall rule instead of the proxy?

Thanks for any advice

Ian Harrison

Web: www.activatelearning.ac.uk Twitter: twitter.com/activate_learn Facebook: facebook.com/Activate-Learning
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors