Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Everything was gone when I upgraded from 2.80 MR11 to 3.0 MR2

Everything was gone when I upgraded from 2.80 MR11 to 3.0 MR2 I am the system admin but I work far away from fortigate firewall so I had to go to server and set it up a bit from console and I saw everything was gone(back to factory settingsss???), then I tried to upload the backups I took today but they don' t load to 3.0 MR2. Is there a conflict? Why does not it load the backups? After that I loaded 2.80 MR12 and made it dual-bootable with 3.0, When I boot from 2.8 MR12 I could load the backups and everything was fine. I took a backup from 2.8 MR12 again and tried to load it to 3.0 MR2 again but useless. It does not work, it says the file is incorrect! Anyway is there a way to fix it? I want to use 3.0 features but I don' t want to set up 3.0 from the beginning...
7 REPLIES 7
Not applicable

Have you read the release notes? If you upgrade to 3.0 and the config is not compatible with 3.0 it will revert to factory defaults. Backups from 2.8 aren' t compatible with 3.0 (also in the release notes). In order to use your backup, downgrade restore backup. Read release notes carefully. You may want to hook up your console the monitor the fw after upgrade.
Not applicable

ok thank you, generally i never read release notes. :) but why can' t we use the same configuration file? looks stupid because configuring a firewall in a big network takes really time and i don' t see much difference between 3.0 and 2.8 which may cause configuration difference so much. is it too hard to give support for that? i don' t think so... I want to export my configuration from 2.8 to 3.0, should be possible i think. Thanks.
Not applicable

Well you may start to do so... saves you a lot of time... There is a good reason for not compatible config files, the 3.0 ones are readable.. thank god... unless you encrypt them of course.
wcbenyip
New Contributor III

I want to export my configuration from 2.8 to 3.0, should be possible i think.
I am not sure but I don' t think you can do that... I have asked another question before about restore the conf file for 400a to 300a, the answer is also CANNOT. Of course, the diff. version of conf file should be more easier and make sense to fit for the same model~ However, if you look into the content of your conf file in text, you would found that the 3.0 gots a number of new features and some setting of 2.8 is put in different location in 3.0, even the statement is different than before~ The key point is: why your conf file could not be migrated successfully during the firmware upgrade from 2.8 to 3.0? I agree you that it' s not a easy job to configure a firewall in a big network, and it' s quite time consuming. So how come the proper upgrade could not transform the config statement from 2.8 to 3.0? It' s quite strange and doesn' t make sense....
Protect yourself~ http://www.secunia.com MBCS CEH FCNSA
Protect yourself~ http://www.secunia.com MBCS CEH FCNSA
floop13
New Contributor

Do you try to upgrade to the mr1 instead of mr2, I upgrade my fortigate from 2.8mr11 to a 3.0mr1 and then to mr2 and the config is imported to the 3.0 ... just try
Not applicable

I am agreed with floop13, best recommandation is to upgrade your 2.8 MR11 to 3.0 MR1 then 3.0 MR2, please have your config file backup during each step of upgrading.
Not applicable

Hi Guys..... A few comments from Fortinet Tech support about upgrades (2.8 MRx to 3.0MRx): - Do you upgrade with Web GUI or TFTP? Afraid that the configuration might be corrupted after upgrade. If this is so, delete and recreate the config might solve the issue. - It is always recommended to upgrade via TFTP. Read the release notes, understand the caveats/bugs, backup config and plan for the downtime. http://kc.forticare.com/default.asp?id=338&SID=&Lang=1 On my own experience...: respect the MR´s steps...I mean....upgrade from 2.8 MR11 to MR12 then 3.0MR1 and later to 3.0MR2..... Good Luck - Hugo
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors