Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
MWJohnson
New Contributor

Device Inventory - many devices missing address

Greetings,

I am running that latest version 5.4.1 on a Fortigate 100D.  Many of my active devices shown in the "Device Inventory" are missing IP addresses (shown blank) although I can assure you that the devices themselves have IP addresses and are accessing the internet.  They do show MAC addresses.

Anyone else seen this?  If there a way to fix?  

17 REPLIES 17
sanderl
New Contributor III

Good for you. My situation is different then. As stated before, it worked very good with 5.2.8 and doesn't with 5.4.2 anymore.
tanr
Valued Contributor II

I see the same thing in 5.4.2.  

Devices that have been given an alias (and are online) don't show their IP in the GUI, regardless of if their IP is static or received through DHCP.

Devices without an alias, or some OFFLINE devices with an alias do show their IP in the GUI.

Since the CLI (config user device) doesn't store the IP, I'm assuming this is mostly a GUI bug.

So, has anybody opened a ticket to report this?

@gsarica,

I also have seen some strange device types shown, which then change when the device is given an alias.  Checking the options for "config user device", "edit DeviceName", "set type foo" it looks like the device type options for an aliased device are overly simplified and DIFFERENT from the types shown before the device is given an alias.  For example, the only Windows PC type option is windows-pc, with no version options.  This is quite different from what you get prior to setting the alias, where you might see WindowsXP, NT, etc.  Of course, I've also seen it tell me that a Windows 10 machine is WindowsNT, so that side of things isn't too accurate either.

The device type being so overly simplified (and sometimes incorrect) seems like another bug report that needs to get filed.  Has anyone reported this to Fortinet?

sanderl
New Contributor III

I haven't reported to fortinet as I assumed Fortinet will read this forum...

sanderl
New Contributor III

Apparently they do not read the forum.

heberambrosi

Same behavior in version 5.4.6. Can someone from Fortinet answer?

ericli_FTNT

Hi there,

I tried to reproduce the issue on both 5.4.6 and FortiOS 6.

It seems that it has improved a lot.

ericli_FTNT

And this is the 5.4.6 screen shot. Due to my lab limit, I don't have too much devices to connect to test.

SCSIraidGURU
Contributor

At home and in my data center, the only servers and device Fortinet needs to know about are those with inbound rules like Exchange, Web servers and anything that gets traffic from the internet.  Everything else should remain hidden from Fortinet.  At home I have my web server with virtual IP policies.  In my data center Exchange and all the web apps.  I really don't want either 800C and 60E worrying itself with all the other information filling up RAM and resources. 

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors