Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Not applicable

Block China etc. Traffic

Hey This is probably a stupid question but here goes... Does anyone know of an easy way to explicitly block all traffic originating from China? Actually, I would like to block traffic coming from every country in Asia... I am sick and tired of looking at all of the garbage traffic which comes from that area of the world. Now I have Chinese IP addresses trying to attack my Fortigate via the SSH admin constantly. Honestly - I think that all of Asia should be permenently disconnected from the internet... I guess that would be pretty extreme but I am seriously irritated, lol. I have a text file which contains all of the ip/netmask addressess for Asia. Is there any easy way to import them all into my Fortigate or do I have to manually enter every single one of them (which would be crazy)? Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6
Carl_Wallmark
Valued Contributor

Hi, I agree with you there, you have a couple of choices: 1. Create a script that will import them from a text file. 2. Upload a Bulk script from the GUI, but you will need to make a valid bulk config file and then it depends on what firmware you have. but first of all, check the matrix of maximum numbers of addresses, from docs.fortinet.com i dont think you will manage to upload every net from asia, unless you can combine all addresses to big subnets ;)

FCNSA, FCNSP
---
FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30B
FortiAnalyzer 100B, 100C
FortiMail 100,100C
FortiManager VM
FortiAuthenticator VM
FortiToken
FortiAP 220B/221B, 11C

FCNSA, FCNSP---FortiGate 200A/B, 224B, 110C, 100A/D, 80C/CM/Voice, 60B/C/CX/D, 50B, 40C, 30BFortiAnalyzer 100B, 100CFortiMail 100,100CFortiManager VMFortiAuthenticator VMFortiTokenFortiAP 220B/221B, 11C
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Honestly - I think that all of Asia should be permenently disconnected from the internet...
Maybe Fortinet' s CEO Ken Xie will be not happy with that idea

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
flppds
New Contributor

sorry for the basic question: you have already set up a list of authorized IP that can connect to your fortinet as admin? I have changed the default 0.0.0.0/0 with my LAN address and a few public IP address that I trust, and no other can connect via ssh or https to my fortinet...
Not applicable

I just turned off all types of admin access on the WAN interface to deal with this. If I need to administer the device remotely I log into a server first. If it came to the point where I couldn' t get into the network remotely because the device was actually down then I' d have to physically go to the office anyways... I still would like to be able to block all types of traffic originating from Asia. I really don' t care what anyone thinks of me for that. I have read about some other UTM devices which have the capability built right into them to simply check off blocking regions of the world.
billp
Contributor

I know the Sidewinder can block entire countries/regions. They also maintain a blacklist of bad IPs. Fortinet doesn' t take this approach directly but you can approximate the same function by using an address group and scripts, as stated earlier. I' ve found notepad++ works well for editing the .conf file and to create a script from it. My guess is that Fortinet won' t offer the " block a country" approach directly on their product since they sell so much overseas.

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1

Bill ========== Fortigate 600C 5.0.12, 111C 5.0.2 Logstash 1.4.1
abelio

My guess is that Fortinet won' t offer the " block a country" approach directly on their product since they sell so much overseas.
I disagree with that; blocking country' s IPs could lead to a fake sensation of control or security; there' re a lot of zombies IPs out there and many owners of those machines are not aware of yet; if you detect that several IPs are allocated to ISPs, for example, belonging to my country, do you block every traffic originated in Argentina? Another point is that IP<->country records are not full updated and could lead to wrong blocks; several carriers or big ISPs with global presence allocate blocks following their own criteria. An example of that is <country>.blackholes.us lists as a tactic to fight spam. Finally, you can do what do you want with your firewall, blocking everything and allowing some few networks, is your call. regards,

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors