Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
keurdange
New Contributor

Backup config Fortigate

Hi,

I have two FTG-60C: one is running the firmware 4.3.7 and I updated the second one to the firmware 5.2.7. Here is my question: Can I backup the config on the fortigate which runs the firmware 4.3.7 and restore it back to the other one which runs the firmware 5.2.7? What is the best way to do this? I want the config of fortigate which runs the firware 5.2.7 to be the same that the one which runs the firmware 4.3.7.

Sorry if my english was bad. I'm french speaker.

Thanks in advance.

15 REPLIES 15
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I wouldn't call it a best way but only way, other than manually configuring 5.2.7 from scratch to duplicate, I know of is to upgrade 4.3.7 unit to 5.2.7 by following the upgrade path (you need to check the releasenotes backward from 5.2.7's). You probably need to take 2 or 3 steps before getting to 5.2.7.

keurdange

Thanks Toshiesumi for the answer.

I already updated one fortigate through this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E9sUC2exjY). I also followed the update path to perform the upgrade. 

But I updated only one fortigate. And I want to copy its config to the new fortigate I just updated.

PS: Can I update without format it?

Toshi_Esumi

Once both 60Ds have the same version, you can backup config from the one you upgraded and restore it at the other one. Be aware that it would copy everything including the host name, which has the serial number by default.

keurdange
New Contributor

Ok Toshi Esumi, thanks.

Can I edit manually the field hostname to change its value? 

So, if I backup config from FGT-60C which runs firmware 4.3.7, I can't restore it to another FGT-60C which runs the firmware 5.2.7?

Toshi_Esumi

Yes, you can modify the backed up config before restoring, like the host name I mentioned. But you can understand easily why you can't upload 4.3.7 config to a 5.2.7 system if you take a look at the backup file from the 4.3.7 system and the 5.2.7 system then compare them. Many config sections don't match between them. Only upgrade process can translate the old version config to the new version. They have to be 1) the same system hardware, FG60D in your case, and 2) running the same version of software to be able to backup/restore config each other.

keurdange

Ah ok. But when I do an update, according to this link, I must always format the device before installing the firmware. How to update without format the device? (So I can keep my config)

Thank you.

Toshi_Esumi

I thought you already upgraded it up to 5.2.7. If you're suspecting any boot drive corruption or something similar, it's suggested that you format the drive and reinstall it before upgrading. But most cases in reality we just hit the update link and select the new image on your local machine. You might get an error during the upgrade process. I recommend you have a console connection and keep watching at what would show up on screen during the upgrade process. Then after it's done, check "diag debug config-error-log read" to see any errors occurred.

keurdange

Yes, I already upgraded one (I have two 60C). I upgraded through TFTP. But for the second 60C, I will try with the update link and I'll post the result.

Thank you again.

Toshi_Esumi

Didn't you say the second one had 5.2.7 running already?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors