Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
SecurityPlus
Contributor II

Backup WAN Source - Recomendations

What would be the best way to provide WAN redundancy on a 60D or 100D FortiGate running 5.2.7 or 5.4.0 firmware in the event of WAN1 outage? I recently installed a Digi TransPort WR11 Cellular Modem/Wireless Router. It seemed to work well but it was for a customers' non-FortiGate firewall? What are the advantages/disadvantages comparing the Digi unit, a USB connected cellular devices, vs. conventional cable, DSL, T1 WAN connections? I see articles about configuring two Internet connections for fail-over and cellular modem compatibility but what works best for small business? Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
Toshi_Esumi
SuperUser
SuperUser

I think your question has two elements: 1) Wired vs. Wireless, and 2) FW feature/capability difference between FG and Digi.

For 1) both has pros and cons, like stability, packet losses, latency variations (if you want to use it for voice), bandwidth, security, and cost. To me, wired is more secure, reliable, while wireless provides higher bandwidth with less cost but more latency.

I don't have any comments on 2) because I don't know the feature set of the Digi.

Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors