Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
cmberry
New Contributor

All_default or protect_client

I have been running my firewall using the predefined " all_default" IPS setting for a long time. I was wondering, if someone just wants to use one of the predefined sensors, does all_default or protect_client offer more protection out of the box? I' m trying to protect employee workstations, not web servers or ftp servers. Thanks in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
abelio
SuperUser
SuperUser

Hello, I would recommend spend a couple of hours determining exactly what you need from IPS engine, doing a map of services,machines, network location etc. After that, define your own IPS specific sensors to cover your needs, log everything and re-check, let' s say, weekly. Adjust your sensors, eliminating false positives, etc Reward for all this job: - FTG' s resources saving - better logs - better signal/noise ratio to understand your particular network traffic regards

regards

/ Abel

regards / Abel
cmberry
New Contributor

Hello, I would recommend spend a couple of hours determining exactly what you need from IPS engine, doing a map of services,machines, network location etc. After that, define your own IPS specific sensors to cover your needs, log everything and re-check, let' s say, weekly. Adjust your sensors, eliminating false positives, etc Reward for all this job: - FTG' s resources saving - better logs - better signal/noise ratio to understand your particular network traffic regards
Thanks for response. But for the people who dont have the time or the know-how to set up custom rules as you suggest, is there a recommendation of either of these predefined?
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

my 2 cents... I' ve never liked the idea of predefined IPS rule sets. You never know what the FGT will be checking or not checking until you look up the predefined rule. In the same amount of time I can create a new rule, put in all signatures for traffic I allow (which mainly is http, ssh, mail) which are marked " client" and let go. IPS is very powerful and often the only means to stop nasty intruders. I' ve never known that so many websites try to do a HTTP SQL.Injection until I put in the IPS signature for it (OK, some false positives but enough real ones left). But the price for it is that you get a bit closer to it and at least set up your own list. You may reduce the signatures at any time afterwards. Just putting in the predefined list and never look at the logs afterwards will not do the job, even if hardware is a non-issue for you. The other idea is to rely on Application Control, which more or less is a super-set of IPS wrapped around rules. Fortinet has put some experience into the AppCtrl so that you don' t have to know the low-level details of the protocol. Try it out and see how easy it is and yet very effective.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
cmberry

my 2 cents... I' ve never liked the idea of predefined IPS rule sets. You never know what the FGT will be checking or not checking until you look up the predefined rule. In the same amount of time I can create a new rule, put in all signatures for traffic I allow (which mainly is http, ssh, mail) which are marked " client" and let go. IPS is very powerful and often the only means to stop nasty intruders. I' ve never known that so many websites try to do a HTTP SQL.Injection until I put in the IPS signature for it (OK, some false positives but enough real ones left). But the price for it is that you get a bit closer to it and at least set up your own list. You may reduce the signatures at any time afterwards. Just putting in the predefined list and never look at the logs afterwards will not do the job, even if hardware is a non-issue for you. The other idea is to rely on Application Control, which more or less is a super-set of IPS wrapped around rules. Fortinet has put some experience into the AppCtrl so that you don' t have to know the low-level details of the protocol. Try it out and see how easy it is and yet very effective.
thank you for detailed feedback. More to do and learn every day.
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors