Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Error403
New Contributor

Add user in group by CLI

Hello ! I have to create a lot of users for VPN SSL portals. I want to script the creation of this users. No difficulty to create account. But, how can I add an account to a user-groups by CLI ? In advance, thank's for your help ! :) Thierry

7 REPLIES 7
ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

A while ago I've posted a batch command file (Windows) for creating a command file from a list of IPs. Maybe this can help: [link]https://forum.fortinet.com/tm.aspx?m=102532[/link]

It shouldn't be too difficult to adapt this to creating local users and user groups. Note that there is a limit for the number of users per group (Maximum Values matrix).

To get the correct syntax, create a backup textfile and search for "usergrp".

Ede Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
Error403

Thank you for your help ede_pfau. I already use python to generate all my commands line. Note : my request concerns local users only.

Error403

Hi ! Problem solved : # config user group # edit <group_name> # set member <member_name>

ede_pfau

That's what I meant - syntax is documented in each backup file. I thought it was obvious (OK, "usergrp" <> "user group").

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Becareful with the set command and adding users to a existing group. A better method if the group is already "created" is to use the append member option. This will add that new "user" to the existing member list.

I see scripter failure to notice this and drop various users when editing the group ;)

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Error403
New Contributor

Thank you Emnoc for the tip. This option can be use with all objects ?

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

It's useful for address groups , user groups, and fwpolicy  for source interfaces or address.

The opposite command for removing just "one" object is the  unselect member < membername(s)>

e.g

config user group

edit  RWarriors

unselect member  kenfelix

end

or if you had a string of userss;

config user group

edit  RWarriors

unselect member  kenfelix user2 user3 user4 user5

end

Hope that helps

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Announcements

Select Forum Responses to become Knowledge Articles!

Select the “Nominate to Knowledge Base” button to recommend a forum post to become a knowledge article.

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors