Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
miko
New Contributor

DNS zone forwarding

Hi,

We have FortiGate 200D (fw v5.2.3,build670 (GA)) and I was wondering if I could setup DNS zone forwarding on this device.

Please advise! Thanks!

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, just set the  forwarder address in the domain for the domain you want forwarding request. I don't know if you can do a wildcard forwader statement

eg ( for forwarding request for domain XYZ )

config system dns-database     edit "dns1"         set domain "xyz.com"         set view public         set forwarder "208.109.255.51"     next end

Use the diag test app dnsproxy  2 command to see the fwd counters  increases.

The above will forward all request for domain xyz to 208.109.255.51, if some one knows how to do a wildcard forwarder, that would  be nice if they can share.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
3 REPLIES 3
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes, just set the  forwarder address in the domain for the domain you want forwarding request. I don't know if you can do a wildcard forwader statement

eg ( for forwarding request for domain XYZ )

config system dns-database     edit "dns1"         set domain "xyz.com"         set view public         set forwarder "208.109.255.51"     next end

Use the diag test app dnsproxy  2 command to see the fwd counters  increases.

The above will forward all request for domain xyz to 208.109.255.51, if some one knows how to do a wildcard forwarder, that would  be nice if they can share.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
miko
New Contributor

This is exactly what I need, but I need to use wildcards. We have a remote location with a local domain and I want to forward DNS requests for that domain only. Without wildcards it will be really hard to maintain all those entries. I've tried different combinations, but no luck so far. If anyone knows how to make those wildcard statements, please share!

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

i set down and played with this b4 but never got to work. What you could do but not sure if this is what you want;

config sys dns-server

edit wifi

set mode forward-only

end

That would forward everything to your local defined dns server entries. The local system dns-db is never queried. AFAIK, FTNT does not have a means to set a domain for local query with a forward for anything else & to a defined dns-server

What we need is a bind like forwarder;

acl myforwardlist { 

192.0.2.1/32;                   192.0.2.2/32;                   127.0.0.1/32;                  };

zone  example.com {

type forward;

forwarders { myforwardlist; };

}

I believe the above is what you want? & per each zone ?

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors