Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
amey
New Contributor

Block Upload to specific website!

We have got a FortiGate 50E with firmware v5.4.4 on NAT mode/Proxy based. I would like to restrict my network users to block the upload of data on a specific website. AnyOne here can help me implement this? Specifically, block upload to github.com, any help is appreciated!!

4 REPLIES 4
Asus
New Contributor

[ol]
  • check in Web Rating Overrides
  • And then block those sites using those web filter based on Category  that you may find it web filter
  • For GitHub it comes under General interest-Bussiness block those categories or else uses those FQDN to Block
  • And then us nslookup to check 
  • C:\Users\varuvaiprjan>nslookup Default Server: globaldc.svsglobal.com Address: 10.1.1.1

> github.com Server: globaldT.ITglobal.com Address: 10.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer: Name: github.com Addresses: 192.30.253.112 192.30.253.113

• Use resolving address to block those IP by creating deny policy 
  • if any doubt ping me [/ol]
  • Thanks & Regards

Asus

Thanks & Regards Asus
    ywp0220
    New Contributor

SriramPrakash wrote:

[ol]
  • check in Web Rating Overrides
  • And then block those sites using those web filter based on Category  that you may find it web filter
  • For GitHub it comes under General interest-Bussiness block those categories or else uses those FQDN to Block
  • And then us nslookup to check 
  • C:\Users\varuvaiprjan>nslookup Default Server: globaldc.svsglobal.com Address: 10.1.1.1

> github.com Server: globaldT.ITglobal.com Address: 10.1.1.1

Non-authoritative answer: Name: github.com Addresses: 192.30.253.112 192.30.253.113

• Use resolving address to block those IP by creating deny policy 
  • if any doubt ping me [/ol]

• I also have the same need to block github data uploads.

I am not quite sure where to do it wrong, application control can only be recognized as github, and is not recognized as Github_File.Upload. So blocking is invalid

The windows system has imported the certificate generated by the firewall. The browser accessing the web page can already see that the authenticated intermediate device is a firewall. But I am not sure if the client of github can be decrypted normally. What should I do?

Dave_Hall
    Honored Contributor

Application control sensors are processed from top-down, so the Github.file.Upload sensor block should be on top.  Mind you, if you are using security certificate inspection, fgt may not detect what is happening in that encrypted tunnel. 

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C

NSE4/FMG-VM64/FortiAnalyzer-VM/6.0 (FWF30E/FW92D/FGT200D/FGT101E/FGT81E)/ FAP220B/221C
    ywp0220

Dave Hall wrote:

Application control sensors are processed from top-down, so the Github.file.Upload sensor block should be on top.  Mind you, if you are using security certificate inspection, fgt may not detect what is happening in that encrypted tunnel. 

[attachImg]https://forum.fortinet.com/download.axd?file=0;172576&where=message&f=Github-upload.JPG[/attachImg]

Hi,

What is your software version? How can I choose Github_File.Upload separately? I choose Github_File.Upload will definitely depend on Github. My software version is v6.0.4

Labels
    Top Kudoed Authors