Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
Ralph1973
Contributor

wireless traffic poor performance on 50e

Hello, I have a FWF 50e at home and configured the 2.4Ghz band for wifi. Unfortunately, the loading of webpages, watching youtube movies or even opening the App store on my phone or ipad results in really slow performance and timeouts.

When I run a packet sniffer, I see traffic flowing, but not that 'fast' as when I sniff traffic on my wired pc and connecting to the same websites. The wireless connection on my phone is excellent (actually I am testing in the same room as the AP) and I also disabled UTM for the wireless policies to see if that makes sense, but it doesn't help.

I also tried the 5Ghz band, which is less busy, but still crappy wireless connection.

Anybody an idea what goes wrong?

Regards,

Ralph

3 REPLIES 3
MikePruett
Valued Contributor

do you use the device as a bonded interface? (meaning it is part of the software switch that ties the physical ports together?

Create a SSID that is separate and make the appropriate policies for it. Does it perform better in this manner?

Mike Pruett Fortinet GURU | Fortinet Training Videos
Ralph1973

Hello Mike,

Thank you for your reply. The wifi interface is separate, I configured it as a separate network/vlan.

Well, the thing I notice is that via my laptop wifi, things work normally, but my wifi on iphone and ipad sucks. It looks like it has to do with the type of device. Have to check this out, how weird...

Ralph1973

update: I connected a simple Linksys AP to the Fortigate and traffic is flowing perfectly through this Linksys, even when all UTM is enabled. How come that the FortiAP is so &%^*$# bad performing?

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors