Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
matteocostanzo
New Contributor II

two-factor authentication SSLVPN users taken from Active Directory

I wanted to know if it is possible to enable two-factor authentication for users who must connect to SSLVPN not directly created in the firewall but which are taken from an LDAP query on Active Directory.

4 REPLIES 4
AEK
SuperUser
SuperUser

AEK
matteocostanzo
New Contributor II

with this method I am forced to create the users locally on the firewall.

I wanted to be able to do the thing without doing this step.

I've created an SSL portal that points to a user group created in Active Directory.

this thing allows me to have a dynamic situation without messing with the firewall configuration.

just remove and put users in that domain group to decide who connects and who doesn't.

this however maybe doesn't allow me to have two factor authentication.

Right ??

knagaraju
Staff
Staff

Hello Matteocostanzo,

Please note that without creating an LDAP user on FortiGate, MFA is not possible for SSLVPN users.

Regards,
Nagaraju.

akanibek
Staff
Staff

Hey @matteocostanzo,

unfortunately, it is not possible. Because FGT has to check second factor, which is defined on itself (when we are talking about LDAP server). Token should be bind to user locally. 

If you have remote radius server with 2FA configured, you can move from LDAP to Radius, and skip an additional step with binding second factor option on FGT. All the user credential and token verification will be processed on remote radius server.

For the radius remote servers you can skip this step, because second factor token 

Asset
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors