Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
ikohut
New Contributor

ssl.<vdom> interface usage

Hello All,

I am a newbie to Fortigate so i'm not experienced with it.

Could anybody tell me what is the correct usage of ssl.<vdom_name> interface please? I see it in root vdom and also in other vdoms.

config system interface
    edit "ssl.root"
        set vdom "root"
        set type tunnel
        set alias "sslvpn tunnel interface"
        set snmp-index 32
    next
end

Is it used solely for Policies configuration or for smt else too?

And also, if i have site-to-site vpn, do i need this interface for sny reason?

I'd be thankful if anybody could point me where to read mroe theoretically about that.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Toshi_Esumi
Esteemed Contributor III

It's dedicated only to SSL VPN. If you don't have SSL VPN you just need to ignore them. It's allowed only one setup per vdom or root. I'm guessing that's why FTNT decided to prebuild by default. IPSec vpn interface will be automatically created individually when you configure the vpn if it's interface mode.

ikohut

Thank you very much!

Couldn't find related documentation to read more about it and similar.

ede_pfau
Esteemed Contributor III

The SSL.root interface is the end of the tunnel if you connect via SSL VPN. Just like the <phase2> virtual interface if using an IPsec VPN.

You use it in (at least) one policy to let client traffic in through the tunnel:

srcintf=ssl.root

dstintf=internal

srcaddr=(SSL VPN client's private address range)

dstaddr=(your LAN's subnet)

service=...

action=accept

Although visible in System>Interfaces, you never directly manipulate the tunnel interface. All things SSLVPN are configured in VPN > SSLVPN.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Also you can't disable it. Since it's a interface you can assign and address ( depending on  FortiOS version ) and  even use it for management purpose again depending on FortiOS version.

ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors