Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
THEcRiteK
New Contributor

no Advanced Options in FortiClient 5.2.1.356 on Mac OSX

Hey Comm,

my problem is, that on windows i can configure the forticlient very good, but on mac i can't configure the vpn connection correctly, because i don't have the advanced settings for IPsec, Phase1 and Phase2. So the client can't connect to our firewall.

Is there any trick to get these settings? I have tried many other forticlient versions but in no version the advanced settings are displayed.

thanks!

1 Solution
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Your correct but I never seen anybody that needed to modify the ipsec settings. Either way you need to do it old school and i advise to backup the cfg b4 making changes.

1: backup the cfg

Preference > General > Backup ( name the file )

2:  open the <*.conf> file in yoru favorite editor.

3: Search down to the ipsec or connection name

4:make your modifications and save as new file

5: Restore the new cfg

<name>socpuppetshq</name>                     <type>manual</type>                     <ike_settings>                         <prompt_certificate>0</prompt_certificate>                         <description>MainFGT100D</description>                         <server>192.0.1.1</server>                         <authentication_method>Preshared Key</authentication_method>                         <auth_key>Enc 420d2ee65abded897a69c50f49954d0df61920558d173d22a1b0b1b058b8034b</auth_key>                         <mode>aggressive</mode>                         <dhgroup>5</dhgroup>                         <key_life>86400</key_life>                         <localid></localid>                         <nat_traversal>1</nat_traversal>                         <mode_config>1</mode_config>                         <enable_local_lan>0</enable_local_lan>                         <dpd>1</dpd>                         <xauth>                             <enabled>1</enabled>                             <prompt_username>0</prompt_username>                             <username>Enc 420d2ee65abded897a69c50f49954d0df619498b1925dd2d993abf54be</username>                             <password>Enc 420d2ee65abded897a69c50f4995397969f1c1f949055d8e51</password>                         </xauth>                         <proposals>                             <proposal>aes128|sha1</proposal>                             <proposal>aes256|sha256</proposal>                             <proposal>3des|sha256</proposal>                             <proposal>aes128|sha1</proposal>                             <proposal>aes256|sha1</proposal>                             <proposal>3des|sha1</proposal>                         </proposals>                         <fgt>0</fgt>                     </ike_settings>

I hope that helps. Just becarefull and ways make a backup copy b4 proceeding.

Good luck and let us know how your forticlientVersion works. I'm having problems with a few 10.10 and dropping ipsec connections.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

View solution in original post

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
16 REPLIES 16
emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

So what do you have configured in  the fortigate. That's what you should be doing is matching the proposals in the fortigate imho. I have never seen a need to  modify the  actual configuration file.

Ken

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
THEcRiteK

There is one big problem with the fortigate, the person who has configured the fortigate is'nt in our company anymore.

One in our department know a little bit the current VPN config. And this person does not want to change the config, because we have to change the settings on 100 notebooks i think if he change it.

But now i have a new config file, i will test it and let you know if it works.

THEcRiteK

hi emnoc, now i get another error.

The connection was unexpectedly disconnected - error 101

This error means to me, that he has a connection but our firewall discards it, is that right?in the config-file i have replaced all "wrong" options, like ipsec vpn options or the proposals.

i dont know :(

Paul

PS: i have found something in the logs...

emnoc
Esteemed Contributor III

Qs:

Do you have the  vpn configuration handy?

Have you tried with a non forticlient client ( iOS,Andorid, MACOSX, cisco vpnclient,shrew net, etc.....)

You shouldn't flat out change things with out proper diagnostics and review actions. The proposal in the forticlient , covers the default common proposals in the fortigate which should work regardless if it's mac windows or iphone.

PCNSE 

NSE 

StrongSwan  

PCNSE NSE StrongSwan
THEcRiteK

I habe tried it with ipsecuritas, and others ...

i have found a option, witch is on the macs configurationfile ...

... <use_vip>1</use_vip>                         <virtualip>                             <type>modeconfig</type>                             <ip></ip>                             <mask></mask>                             <dnsserver></dnsserver>                         </virtualip>

and on windows ... <use_vip>1</use_vip>                         <virtualip>                             <type>dhcpoveripsec</type>                             <ip>0.0.0.0</ip>                             <mask>0.0.0.0</mask>                             <dnsserver>0.0.0.0</dnsserver>                             <winserver>0.0.0.0</winserver>                         </virtualip>

But, when i write dhcpoveripsec over the modeconfig, i can't import the file?! O.o

I think this could be the fail in the configuration, because we use dhcp over ipsec...

Is this possible? But why i can't wirte dhcpoveripsec over modeconfig?

THEcRiteK

No, I have configured it as SSL VPN, then it works fine on Mac OS.

Rgds

JMousqueton
New Contributor

I have the same problem on MacOS I cannot set "dhcpoveripsec"   as a virtualIP type on MacOS

Did you manage to find a solution ?

Best Regards,

Labels
Top Kudoed Authors