Support Forum
The Forums are a place to find answers on a range of Fortinet products from peers and product experts.
dillee1
New Contributor

fortigate ipsec cisco

Hi all.

I need to connect a fortigate 200a(2.80,build456,050704) to a 2nd party cisco router.

The goal is something like this:

my_server(private IP mapped to a VIP) <->fortigate<->cisco<->target_server(public IP)

2nd party insist a public IP for ipsec setup, and my_server has a public virtual IP mapped to it.

I managed to have the tunnel bring up when i ping/traceroute my_server->target_server, but no replies ever received.

2nd party insisted that they have intervening firewall(s) opened.

Below are the only setting I have found so far that bring up the tunnel on demand successfully:

fortigate IPSEC phase 2 setting:

Quick Mode Identities:Specify a selector Source address:my_server public IP Source port:0 Dest address:target_server IP Dest port:0 Protocol:0

firewall policy

internal -> wan1 88     my_server     target_server     always     ANY     ENCRYPT

Please help.

5 REPLIES 5
vjoshi_FTNT
Staff
Staff

Hello,

Please use the below commands to get the actual cause of the issue or atleast will help if the request is leaving the Fortigate:

diag debug reset

diag debug disable

diag debug enable

diag debug flow filter daddr x.x.x.x

diag debug flow show console enable

diag debug console timestamp enable

diag debug flow trace start 20

NOTE:

- x.x.x.x is the IP address to which you are initiating the traffic(target server)

- Once you get the output captured, you can disable the debug with the command  #diag debug disable

Please get the output here to understand the traffic.

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Possible duplicate of this recent post.

Cisco demands the public WAN IP address as the source IP address of the traffic within the tunnel. My best guess is that they want to avoid address overlap this way which may occur easily if you allow private addresses on the tunnel.

FGTs can source-NAT traffic entering the tunnel. See link above.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
dillee1
New Contributor

@vjoshi_FTNT

this command is not avail on my firmware version.

any equivalent comment command on older fortiOS?

@ede_pfau

my_server has VirtualIP forward all ports to it. It should using its public VIP as SNAT address, thus having its dedicated SNAT pool?  I am not sure whether fortigate SNAT my_server before encryption or after, obviously the later would'nt work....

vjoshi_FTNT

Hello,

x.x.x.x should be replaced by the destination IP to which you are pinging.

dillee1 wrote:

@vjoshi_FTNT

this command is not avail on my firmware version.

any equivalent comment command on older fortiOS?

ede_pfau
SuperUser
SuperUser

Source NAT takes place before encryption as you have correctly reasoned. In FortiOS, SNAT is applied through "IP pools" in the policy 'internal' -> 'tunnel'.

Ede

"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Ede"Kernel panic: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!"
Labels
Top Kudoed Authors